The Student Room Group

Medicine as a 2nd degree maintenance Loan help!

Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Optometry at University of Manchester. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all 3 years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning September 2021 at Aston University.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible for any maintenance loans ? I understand for the 5th year I can get a loan to cover the full tuition costs.

Many thanks,

Romcom101
Original post by Romcom101
Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Optometry at University of Manchester. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all 3 years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning September 2021 at Aston University.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible for any maintenance loans ? I understand for the 5th year I can get a loan to cover the full tuition costs.

Many thanks,

Romcom101

You should get maintenance loan you just won’t get tuition fees paid unless you get in a four year graduate entry medicine course
I don’t think they’d necessarily have to pay it upfront tbf; I pay my own tuition fees and they let me pay it in instalments.
My apologies; I thought you meant by upfront that they had to give the university the £9250 all at once at the beginning of every academic year. You’re right in that they have to pay it all off by the end of the academic year
Reply 4
How does funding work if you do a foundation year with the 5 years of medicine please ?
Reply 5
Thanks guys! At the moment I’m working full time so I don’t see how I’d qualify for the means tested maintenance loan ? However when I start the course I won’t be able to work properly? So I’m a bit confused! I have some savings but would need help at some point!
Thanks guys! At the moment I’m working full time so I don’t see how I’d qualify for the means tested maintenance loan ? However when I start the course I won’t be able to work properly? So I’m a bit confused! I have some savings but would need help at some point!

I think you can get a minimum non means tested amount irrespective of your prior income. If you earn less than £25k a year you can get the full 9203 (assuming you live away from home and outside London)

You might have to rely a bit on your savings and work part time. See if you can claim any bursaries too
Reply 7
Original post by Garnettoi
I think you can get a minimum non means tested amount irrespective of your prior income. If you earn less than £25k a year you can get the full 9203 (assuming you live away from home and outside London)

You might have to rely a bit on your savings and work part time. See if you can claim any bursaries too

Thank you so much! Do you have an idea what the minimum maintenance would be for living outside of London?
Thank you so much! Do you have an idea what the minimum maintenance would be for living outside of London?

I don’t know sorry; I think your best bet would to be in contact with Student Finance England (or the appropriate funding authority in your region) and ask

You don't declare earnings from your own employment, so that would not affect it.
Reply 10
Thanks everyone

I just found out it’s 9k for outside London and they don’t take into account earnings just dividends etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending