Medicine as a 2nd degree maintenance Loan help!

Watch
Romcom101
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Optometry at University of Manchester. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all 3 years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning September 2021 at Aston University.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible for any maintenance loans ? I understand for the 5th year I can get a loan to cover the full tuition costs.

Many thanks,

Romcom101
Smeraldettoi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Romcom101)
Dear Student Finance,

I studied BSc Optometry at University of Manchester. I took out the full maintenance and tuition fee loans for all 3 years of study.

I am going to study 5 year undergraduate Medicine as a second degree beginning September 2021 at Aston University.

Please can you let me know if I am eligible for any maintenance loans ? I understand for the 5th year I can get a loan to cover the full tuition costs.

Many thanks,

Romcom101
You should get maintenance loan you just won’t get tuition fees paid unless you get in a four year graduate entry medicine course
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Garnettoi)
You should get maintenance loan you just won’t get tuition fees paid unless you get in a four year graduate entry medicine course
Agreed, grads doing standard undergrad med will be eligible for a means-tested maintenance loan which for some students could just about cover the £9250 per year.

But that £9250 per year would have to be paid upfront, there's no tuition fee loan unlike graduate entry medicine.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Agreed, grads doing standard undergrad med will be eligible for a means-tested maintenance loan which for some students could just about cover the £9250 per year.

But that £9250 per year would have to be paid upfront, there's no tuition fee loan unlike graduate entry medicine.
I don’t think they’d necessarily have to pay it upfront tbf; I pay my own tuition fees and they let me pay it in instalments.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don’t think they’d necessarily have to pay it upfront tbf; I pay my own tuition fees and they let me pay it in instalments.
Yes I know that, when I said upfront I meant you have to pay it rather than SFE pays for you and you'll be owing them.

You can pay it in instalments, but you have to clear the account before the year ends.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 weeks ago
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yes I know that, when I said upfront I meant you have to pay it rather than SFE pays for you and you'll be owing them.

You can pay it in instalments, but you have to clear the account before the year ends.
My apologies; I thought you meant by upfront that they had to give the university the £9250 all at once at the beginning of every academic year. You’re right in that they have to pay it all off by the end of the academic year
SandiyG
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

How does funding work if you do a foundation year with the 5 years of medicine please ?
Romcom101
Rep:
?
Thanks guys! At the moment I’m working full time so I don’t see how I’d qualify for the means tested maintenance loan ? However when I start the course I won’t be able to work properly? So I’m a bit confused! I have some savings but would need help at some point!
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks guys! At the moment I’m working full time so I don’t see how I’d qualify for the means tested maintenance loan ? However when I start the course I won’t be able to work properly? So I’m a bit confused! I have some savings but would need help at some point!
I think you can get a minimum non means tested amount irrespective of your prior income. If you earn less than £25k a year you can get the full 9203 (assuming you live away from home and outside London)

You might have to rely a bit on your savings and work part time. See if you can claim any bursaries too
Romcom101
Rep:
?
I think you can get a minimum non means tested amount irrespective of your prior income. If you earn less than £25k a year you can get the full 9203 (assuming you live away from home and outside London)

You might have to rely a bit on your savings and work part time. See if you can claim any bursaries too
Thank you so much! Do you have an idea what the minimum maintenance would be for living outside of London?
Smeraldettoi
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much! Do you have an idea what the minimum maintenance would be for living outside of London?
I don’t know sorry; I think your best bet would to be in contact with Student Finance England (or the appropriate funding authority in your region) and ask
Shirohige
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You don't declare earnings from your own employment, so that would not affect it.
Romcom101
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks everyone

I just found out it’s 9k for outside London and they don’t take into account earnings just dividends etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.06%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.18%
Lack of purpose or motivation (517)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (187)
4.98%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (224)
5.96%
Loneliness (315)
8.38%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.86%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.47%
Lack of real life entertainment (213)
5.67%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (335)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (353)
9.4%

Watched Threads