The Student Room Group

Chemistry NMR Spectra

I need to determine the structure of compound I given the following information but im a little bit unsure of what i am doing.
from looking at the proton nmr spectrum think it has 4 different H environments.
It looks like it also has 4 C environments but im a bit lost.
Any help or guidance would be legendary thankyouu
EFF44B63-6E64-41FE-B5EF-EE4015BE3E70.jpg.jpeg
Reply 1
Original post by masterm17
I need to determine the structure of compound I given the following information but im a little bit unsure of what i am doing.
from looking at the proton nmr spectrum think it has 4 different H environments.
It looks like it also has 4 C environments but im a bit lost.
Any help or guidance would be legendary thankyouu
EFF44B63-6E64-41FE-B5EF-EE4015BE3E70.jpg.jpeg

The empirical formula and hence the molecular formula would be the obvious place to start.
Reply 2
So ive figured out it contains 6C, 10h and 1N, so would the molecular formula be C6H10N or something different?
Reply 3
So ive figured out it contains 6C, 10h and 1N, so would the molecular formula be C6H10N or something different?

I'm guessing you're not a big fan of oxygen?
Reply 4
Oops i forgot, 2O also
Reply 5
Oops i forgot, 2O also

In that case, you have made a mistake: either in your calculation or your typing. Have another go at the empirical formula.

If you still get C6H10NO2, please show your working so that I can point out where you are going wrong.
Oops i forgot, 2O also

Have you checked your molecular /empirical formula against the mass of the molecular ion?
Reply 7
So i did it again and got 9h instead, not sure how i got 10 before
Reply 8
So i did it again and got 9h instead, not sure how i got 10 before

Next thing I'd do would be to think about what functional groups C6H9NO2 could have and cross reference that against the IR absorptions on the datasheet and see which ones are (and are not) present on the IR spectrum.

Then try to piece it together using the NMR.
Oops i forgot, 2O also

There aren't 10 H's - only 9- think you have rounded up too much mid way in your calculation.
The IR spec shows a peak at about 2200cm-1 which must be a CN group
Original post by Davies Chemistry
There aren't 10 H's - only 9- think you have rounded up too much mid way in your calculation.
The IR spec shows a peak at about 2200cm-1 which must be a CN group

I liked this question- and I have made a video explaining possible strategies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oR5E8n8Tw&list=PLTMMuJwv83FqArMYZv9EnnxFJuTxmuKZR&index=14

When you have worked out your answer please have a look.
I liked this question- and I have made a video explaining possible strategies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6oR5E8n8Tw&list=PLTMMuJwv83FqArMYZv9EnnxFJuTxmuKZR&index=14

When you have worked out your answer please have a look.

It is taken from a recent paper that shouldn't be public.

:frown::
Original post by Pigster
It is taken from a recent paper that shouldn't be public.

:frown::

Sorry about that, but it was you who initially replied to the enquiry about the q. This made me think it was NOT from a protected paper.
Sorry about that, but it was you who initially replied to the enquiry about the q. This made me think it was NOT from a protected paper.

No need to apologise. I was responding to your "I liked this question", I was merely letting you know (well hinting at) where it was from.

Also, in further news, you've got a view. Just the one. But it is a start.
Original post by Pigster
No need to apologise. I was responding to your "I liked this question", I was merely letting you know (well hinting at) where it was from.

Also, in further news, you've got a view. Just the one. But it is a start.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest