The Student Room Group

Late puberty people grow taller?

Im a girl, (15 almost) and I read online and told by my parents that late bloomers (people late in puberty like me) tend to grow taller, and develop more, is this true? Or am I getting my hopes up for lies?
Reply 1
Original post by x_anonymous_x
Im a girl, (15 almost) and I read online and told by my parents that late bloomers (people late in puberty like me) tend to grow taller, and develop more, is this true? Or am I getting my hopes up for lies?

Not sure if I'm reading behind the lines correctly here, but women mature quicker than man, puberty tends to start earlier and finish earlier than for men. Puberty for men tends to finish around 14-15 mark, for girls it's 1-2 years younger than that.
This isn't to say that change cannot happen after puberty, there's a surprising amount that can be changed after puberty, e.g. because when guys finish puberty, their testosterone gets a big boost, and over the years they start seeing more masculine changes. Then there's more habitual changes, e.g. maintaining correct posture can create some minor changes that add up to the upper body looking bigger, or "better". Or another example, if you maintain correct tongue posture, your jaw will develop correctly if you hadn't before.

Generally at around age 21 is when, appearance wise, things start to become set in stone because of prolonged exposure to puberty chemicals (testosterone, estrogen), habitual changes (harder to make new habbits as you get older) and the bones at that point should become less malleable as they become more solid. Even after this, change can still happen, though slower.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by deama
Not sure if I'm reading behind the lines correctly here, but women mature quicker than man, puberty tends to start earlier and finish earlier than for men. Puberty for men tends to finish around 14-15 mark, for girls it's 1-2 years younger than that.
This isn't to say that change cannot happen after puberty, there's a surprising amount that can be changed after puberty, e.g. because when guys finish puberty, their testosterone gets a big boost, and over the years they start seeing more masculine changes. Then there's more habitual changes, e.g. maintaining correct posture can create some minor changes that add up to the upper body looking bigger, or "better". Or another example, if you maintain correct tongue posture, your jaw will develop correctly if you hadn't before.

Generally at around age 21 is when, appearance wise, things start to become set in stone because of prolonged exposure to puberty chemicals (testosterone, estrogen), habitual changes (harder to make new habbits as you get older) and the bones at that point should become less malleable as they become more solid. Even after this, change can still happen, though slower.

I don't really get what your saying, a lot of stuff your saying is related to male, which I am not, and I have late puberty... so the years are different for me, I start later, I finish later, other people start at 11 and finish at 14-15 I started at 14 and will finish at 17-18.
Reply 3
Original post by x_anonymous_x
I don't really get what your saying, a lot of stuff your saying is related to male, which I am not, and I have late puberty... so the years are different for me, I start later, I finish later, other people start at 11 and finish at 14-15 I started at 14 and will finish at 17-18.

Like I said, girls start and finish puberty earlier than males. You're confusing puberty with maturity, most people mature around 18-20, puberty finishes around 14-16 for males, for females even earlier.
I started growing at 15 and stopped
Reply 5
Yes that is true.
Late bloomers often grow for longer and end up being taller
Reply 6
Original post by IlikeDonerKebab
I started growing at 15 and stopped

i cant lie you just made me very hungry godammit...:crazy:
Original post by .Dezer.
i cant lie you just made me very hungry godammit...:crazy:

true mfer should change his nickname asap

Quick Reply