Mass protest overcomes school anti-woke agenda

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Looks like the Brave New World of Pimlico Academy's anti-woke agenda, inspired by right wing columnist-activist-extremist Toby Young has collapsed amidst mass protest by the student body and parents.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

So much for it being popular!

It's a good reminder that anti-woke is actually an utterly unrepresentative right wing cause espoused by a small but powerful group in the media, Tory Party and fringe alt-right.
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The 1950s called. They want their headteacher back.

Even The Telegraph is running an opinion piece critical of the school.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Funny story.. I can't understand a head teacher who does this.

I mean, fair enough if you want to go and create a western-conservative education setting that focuses on traditional british culture etc. fine.. but why the hell would you try and do that in a school that is 75% non-white school in London? What's his next plan, become the boss of a Jewish faith school and start teaching Anti-Semitism?

In terms of the actual issues.. I'm split.

I'm certainly not with the protestors when it comes to burning flags...

But the restrictions on afros and islamic dress is just discriminatory nonsense that you'd hope would have been gone long ago. And letting a Trans boy play sport with the boys is a pretty simple issue that shouldn't take a lot of thinking to come to the right conclusion.

I really don't think the head teacher has any ability to think strategically about things though. First the attempt to start a white-British-conservative school in the worse possible place. And then now what does he think he is going to achieve by apologising and trying to give in? He is never getting another job in a school again. No amount of apology is ever going to convince the next school that its a good idea to hire someone who caused not only the students to revolt but all of the teachers and senior leadership team.

Honestly, his best play is just to resign.. stand by his intentions.. and then move far away from UK state education to somewhere where people won't remember his name, or would actually appreciate his actions.
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also, in a bit of a link to the other race thread at the moment.

A poster was using this as an example of institutionalised racism. I personally think its the opposite. Its a great example of how an institution is rejecting and working against one man's question bring in racist policies.

Were we to live in a racist society his actions should be celebrated. Instead he's being condemned within the educational community, and the bodies and forces of the educational institution (unions, teachers, ofstead, etc) are now all against him and he is clearly going to fail.

That's a pretty good reflection of how far our society has come.
Genaro_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm less worried about their uniform policy and more than the union flag was taken down and burnt last year, and that they may not fly the flag of our nation again.
It speaks volumes about the pupils and frankly the radicalisation of the youth by the left, not to mention the likely radicalisation due to religous reasons.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Looks like the Brave New World of Pimlico Academy's anti-woke agenda, inspired by right wing columnist-activist-extremist Toby Young has collapsed amidst mass protest by the student body and parents.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

So much for it being popular!

It's a good reminder that anti-woke is actually an utterly unrepresentative right wing cause espoused by a small but powerful group in the media, Tory Party and fringe alt-right.
It's less about popularity and more about the fact it's a 75% non-white school on London. That they don't want to learn about British kings and queens (they were white) or fly the flag is damning.

To create the type of school that this one was supposed to be you really need it in a more hospitable area and pre-interview the parents as a form of selection.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Disgraceful scenes, but nothing more than expected to be perfectly honest. Amazing how the woke left have such a massive swing over society.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Absolutely hilarious. I don't know what's funnier the article or how Full of Surprises interpreted it 🤣🤣🤣🤣

As Rakas said this would have been very popular in white majority schools. This shows Simply that many minorities do not see themselves as British and do not want to integrate into society in which case what are they doing here exactly???

I don't blame minorities for not feeling included or not wanting to learn about s bunch of white people. If I had to live in Africa say I probably wouldn't want to learn about African history either tbh. But then I wouldnt move to another country and have the arrogance to expect them to change their curriculum and culture for my benefit...

I have a African friend and if this sort of thing happened in the school he went to back home eg disrespecting the national flag they would get caned. I think that's the only sensible answer. ..
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ergh when will people get it?

This isn't about right Vs left, woke Vs anti woke this is simply about RACE: as in BLACK students don't like learning/ being in a WHITE culture. This has to some extent been exploited and radicalised by left wing race hustlers but it's easy pickings. People are too scared to acknowledge that importing people from vastly different groups and cultures will present these sorts of difficult challenges..

People aren't just units of data that can be taken and out of any random environment and placed anywhere and will just get on with it. The anti white left are right about that. The problem is they want to punish white people and destroy white society in order to accommodate these groups which isn't right or fair. White people benefit from these systems and taking it away to benefit a minority is wrong. It's a zero sum game.

The solution is that schools need to have a white majority and the minority has to integrate and abide by the majority standard. If they don't like it too bad maybe they should find another home.
Contested Claim
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Ergh when will people get it?

This isn't about right Vs left, woke Vs anti woke this is simply about RACE: as in BLACK students don't like learning/ being in a WHITE culture. This has to some extent been exploited and radicalised by left wing race hustlers but it's easy pickings. People are too scared to acknowledge that importing people from vastly different groups and cultures will present these sorts of difficult challenges..

People aren't just units of data that can be taken and out of any random environment and placed anywhere and will just get on with it. The anti white left are right about that. The problem is they want to punish white people and destroy white society in order to accommodate these groups which isn't right or fair. White people benefit from these systems and taking it away to benefit a minority is wrong. It's a zero sum game.

The solution is that schools need to have a white majority and the minority has to integrate and abide by the majority standard. If they don't like it too bad maybe they should find another home.
White isn't a culture, sweetie.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Contested Claim)
White isn't a culture, sweetie.
How about European, darling.
Last edited by Starship Trooper; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
It's less about popularity and more about the fact it's a 75% non-white school on London. That they don't want to learn about British kings and queens (they were white) or fly the flag is damning.

To create the type of school that this one was supposed to be you really need it in a more hospitable area and pre-interview the parents as a form of selection.
I suspect they don't want a particular biased agenda forced on them. Surprisingly, even students from deprived areas want the right to learn and think for themselves.

Note that Pimlico Academy was rated Outstanding on the last Ofsted inspection.

I'm not sure what you're implying in your second sentence - racial selection?
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
It's interesting to see the actual demands made by the students, which don't mention the Union Jack flying.
https://twitter.com/Citizenship_Cr8/...81869939957765

I wonder if the school took the flag down to stir up the likes of Lawrence Fox and get good media?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I suspect they don't want a particular biased agenda forced on them. Surprisingly, even students from deprived areas want the right to learn and think for themselves.

I'm not sure what you're implying in your second sentence - racial selection?
Perhaps but students should not set the curriculum. For me the right to education does not equate to the right to choose your school and so headmaster Rakas would have been happy to eject the ringleaders. If you choose to send your child to a school you should do so in full knowledge of the curriculum and practises.

No but interviews with parents. The child of a gender studies academic is more likely to be incompatible with such a schools aims than the child of a military man.

Basically I support free schools to a large degree, let the consumer (parents) decide which schools they want their children at.

Good to hear Ofstead rated it excellent though.
barnet1471
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well it is in South London. As for Toby Young, he is even more emotionally lacking and without social skills than anyone else I can think of in public life.

I disagree with burning flags.
Starship Trooper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wonder how long that will last now...

Nevermind. Education is a white supremacist, ableist and patriarchal conception anyway. Far better they learn about "equality and diversity" than something like Maths.

https://www.newsweek.com/math-suffer...course-1571511
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
I wonder how long that will last now...

Nevermind. Education is a white supremacist, ableist and patriarchal conception anyway. Far better they learn about "equality and diversity" than something like Maths.

https://www.newsweek.com/math-suffer...course-1571511
Looking past the hot air and inflamed steam, there is a serious point about the traditional teaching of this and other subjects in western schools - for example, the Islamic scholars in medieval times who largely created the foundations of modern mathematics were often overlooked. More disagreeable though is the way in which, for example, IQ tests (used for decades in many societies as ways to filter children out of higher education opportunities) relied on questions wholly aimed at the white middle classes.
Last edited by Fullofsurprises; 2 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnet1471)
Well it is in South London. As for Toby Young, he is even more emotionally lacking and without social skills than anyone else I can think of in public life.

I disagree with burning flags.
Young and Fox appear to be in a race with the Spectator and Andrew Neil to be the winner of the prize for Right Wing Intellectual Yob of the Year. Not sure who's ahead right now.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Perhaps but students should not set the curriculum. For me the right to education does not equate to the right to choose your school and so headmaster Rakas would have been happy to eject the ringleaders. If you choose to send your child to a school you should do so in full knowledge of the curriculum and practises.
The point is that they completely changed key points in the curriculum mid-track. That's why a lot of parents were pretty angry as well as the students.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The point is that they completely changed key points in the curriculum mid-track. That's why a lot of parents were pretty angry as well as the students.
That’s actually fair if true then. I thought this had been going on a few years and they just instituted the new uniform policies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (376)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (282)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (358)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (118)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.07%
Loneliness (218)
8.54%
Financial worries (94)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (223)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.44%

Watched Threads