The Student Room Group

im scared i ruined my life

hello,
so ive previously posted about this (kinda). So basically, im kinda young and overthink a LOT. I initially thought i had been doxxed, but people said i probably wasn't because there was no way I was (if i explain further i'd probably expose who i am). Even though I know there's basically no way for this person (who i thought doxxed me) to get my personal info, im still kinda worried. So, i have a few questions:
- Is there any way to gather personal information through discord, even when you haven't clicked any sus links
- how do i stop myself from worrying about this? i find myself thinking about it for like 90% of the day and ruins everything
- if i DID get doxxed, is my life ruined??
Original post by Anonymous
hello,
so ive previously posted about this (kinda). So basically, im kinda young and overthink a LOT. I initially thought i had been doxxed, but people said i probably wasn't because there was no way I was (if i explain further i'd probably expose who i am). Even though I know there's basically no way for this person (who i thought doxxed me) to get my personal info, im still kinda worried. So, i have a few questions:
- Is there any way to gather personal information through discord, even when you haven't clicked any sus links
- how do i stop myself from worrying about this? i find myself thinking about it for like 90% of the day and ruins everything
- if i DID get doxxed, is my life ruined??

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I really think you should talk to someone (a friend or a professor who would understand) about this. If it is bothering you so much then it's better to share it with someone, maybe they'll help you clear out your doubts and if you did get doxxed, maybe they'll figure out a way to get you out if this mess. This is something that can and does happen to a lot of people but it doesn't mean that there's no way out of this. I wish I knew a way to get you out of it but please know that you're innocent and you shouldn't punish yourself this way. Sending love and prayers your way
I haven't got any advice on Doxxing etc, but I just wanted to say your life is not ruined. As the person above said, speak to a trusted person and it will probably help to alleviate your worries x
Reply 3
No easy way.
Take a break from the internet. Log off and leave it for a week or so and spend time to yourself or with family. Your whole life does not revolve around one internet site.
Unless it would link you to nasty posts or things you wouldnt want other people to see, no.

If this is happening on TSR, I suggest you speak to moderation rather than making thread after thread about it...
Reply 4
I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I really think you should talk to someone (a friend or a professor who would understand) about this. If it is bothering you so much then it's better to share it with someone, maybe they'll help you clear out your doubts and if you did get doxxed, maybe they'll figure out a way to get you out if this mess. This is something that can and does happen to a lot of people but it doesn't mean that there's no way out of this. I wish I knew a way to get you out of it but please know that you're innocent and you shouldn't punish yourself this way. Sending love and prayers your way

thank you, i've talked about it to a few people close to me and they said that they doubt that i was doxxed, yet i still find myself worrying about it. Thank u for the reply, it means a lot!!
Reply 5
Original post by yasminex
I haven't got any advice on Doxxing etc, but I just wanted to say your life is not ruined. As the person above said, speak to a trusted person and it will probably help to alleviate your worries x

Will do, thank you!!
Reply 6
Original post by Foxehh
No easy way.
Take a break from the internet. Log off and leave it for a week or so and spend time to yourself or with family. Your whole life does not revolve around one internet site.
Unless it would link you to nasty posts or things you wouldnt want other people to see, no.

If this is happening on TSR, I suggest you speak to moderation rather than making thread after thread about it...

It's been a few months since the incident happened, nothing happened yet to my knowledge - but my worst fear is that they actually did doxx me and did something but I don't know about it. Unfortunately it didn't happen on TSR and there's basically no way for me to find out if i have been doxxed because it would probably require me to actually reach out to them (which i really don't wanna do)
1) no there isn't, it's a very secure platform
2) teach yourself about how online safety works, should settle your mind if you knew how the process actually worked in reality
3) no, because nobody cares about your personal information in the bigger picture, so doxxing you isn't going to be valuable to anyone to exploit. You can find thousands of peoples names / addresses legally, usually for business purposes, yet nothing ever happens.
Reply 8
It's been a few months since the incident happened, nothing happened yet to my knowledge - but my worst fear is that they actually did doxx me and did something but I don't know about it. Unfortunately it didn't happen on TSR and there's basically no way for me to find out if i have been doxxed because it would probably require me to actually reach out to them (which i really don't wanna do)

It happened months ago, they're probably done and moved on from the whole thing... if you havent heard anything come from it, then nothing probably happened. I wouldnt worry.
Reply 9
Original post by Foxehh
It happened months ago, they're probably done and moved on from the whole thing... if you havent heard anything come from it, then nothing probably happened. I wouldnt worry.

This made me feel a lot better. Thank you!!
there is no way to protect yourself 100%
I can even find your info right now there is no way to protect yourself 100%

huh?/ how??
Original post by V℮rsions
1) no there isn't, it's a very secure platform
2) teach yourself about how online safety works, should settle your mind if you knew how the process actually worked in reality
3) no, because nobody cares about your personal information in the bigger picture, so doxxing you isn't going to be valuable to anyone to exploit. You can find thousands of peoples names / addresses legally, usually for business purposes, yet nothing ever happens.

thank you, this helped me alot!!

Quick Reply

Latest