The Student Room Group

Provisional Licence application during COVID

Hi all,
This is a question for anyone who applied for their provisional licence during COVID.
I applied online, then they emailed me and said they need me to fill out a form and attach a photo as they couldn't verify me. It arrived, and so I filled it out and sent it off. That was 2 weeks ago, yet my licence status still showed as "Awaiting Application Return Form". Worried that it had gone missing, I went onto live chat, they told me that even if the document has been received, that message will remain until they actually send out my licence.
She then also said:

Paper applications are likely to take between 6-8 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions.

Could anyone tell me how long theirs took? Especially if you had to fill out the paper form like me. A friend told me that the theory tests are booking up fast and I need my licence to book one...

Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by JoshBrownn15
Hi all,
This is a question for anyone who applied for their provisional licence during COVID.
I applied online, then they emailed me and said they need me to fill out a form and attach a photo as they couldn't verify me. It arrived, and so I filled it out and sent it off. That was 2 weeks ago, yet my licence status still showed as "Awaiting Application Return Form". Worried that it had gone missing, I went onto live chat, they told me that even if the document has been received, that message will remain until they actually send out my licence.
She then also said:

Paper applications are likely to take between 6-8 weeks to process, but there may be additional delays in processing more complex transactions.

Could anyone tell me how long theirs took? Especially if you had to fill out the paper form like me. A friend told me that the theory tests are booking up fast and I need my licence to book one...

Many thanks

Unfortunately any anecdotes that people may give will not be representative of how long your application will take.

It's a rapidly changing landscape and timescales are entirely dependent on the backlog and current staffing levels in Swansea.
(edited 3 years ago)
Got mine during covid

Took over 2 months
Reply 3
My son's was sent in 10th March, still says "In Progress: Awaiting Application Return Form", should be pretty straight forward. It is much quicker if you have recently got a new passport. 4.5 weeks so far, will update when it arrives as there is no data about current processing times on the website.
Reply 4
Status has just changed to "Transaction Completed: Licence issued", submitted 10th March, so looks like it is taking 5 weeks at the moment.
Aren't the DVLA staff striking or working to rule currently, because their offices are not Covid safe and there have been large numbers of cases? That must delay responses.
Original post by TCL
Status has just changed to "Transaction Completed: Licence issued", submitted 10th March, so looks like it is taking 5 weeks at the moment.

Thank you! I sent mine a week after your son's so hopefully not long to go :smile:
Original post by JoshBrownn15
Thank you! I sent mine a week after your son's so hopefully not long to go :smile:

Hi, did you recieve your liscence? If so, how long did it take? Many thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending