What would make a great online university open day?

Watch
Poll: What would make a great online university open day?
Virtual campus tour (69)
18.25%
Virtual accommodation tour (55)
14.55%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.5%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.06%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
2.91%
Taster lectures or seminars (81)
21.43%
Speak to current students studying my course (87)
23.02%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.23%
Fun online activities or experiences (15)
3.97%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.12%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (9)
2.38%
StrawberryDreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Online events have become part of our new normal over the last year, and Open Days are no exception. It's a tricky balance to get right, for something that has always been predominately face to face, but students have been using these online events to find out information they need to make their uni choices. But are they helpful, or do you need more?

What would make a great online open day or uni event for you?

Maybe you really want lots of course info, or to experience a taster lecture? Or do you want a in-depth virtual campus tour, or to speak to students?

There are sometimes so many online events, it can feel a bit overwhelming. If you're currently experience a bit of online events fatigue, what would help you? Is there anything universities can do to support you, or make the experience something different and help to get rid of some of the fatigue?

Let us know what you think would make a great online Open Day below!
Last edited by StrawberryDreams; 2 weeks ago
E3student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Speaking to current students is really helpful to understand if the course is for me and to ask questions
StrawberryDreams
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by E3student)
Speaking to current students is really helpful to understand if the course is for me and to ask questions
That's such a good point - I think speaking to someone going through what you want to do is invaluable! Thanks for adding your views
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Online events have become part of our new normal over the last year, and Open Days are no exception. It's a tricky balance to get right, for something that has always been predominately face to face, but students have been using these online events to find out information they need to make their uni choices. But are they helpful, or do you need more?

What would make a great online open day or uni event for you?

Maybe you really want lots of course info, or to experience a taster lecture? Or do you want a in-depth virtual campus tour, or to speak to students?

There are sometimes so many online events, it can feel a bit overwhelming. If you're currently experience a bit of online events fatigue, what would help you? Is there anything universities can do to support you, or make the experience something different and help to get rid of some of the fatigue?

Let us know what you think would make a great online Open Day below!
I think a 'day in the life' presentation or video would be really invaluable, speaking from someone who has worked as a Student Ambassador before.
StrawberryDreams
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Sandtrooper)
I think a 'day in the life' presentation or video would be really invaluable, speaking from someone who has worked as a Student Ambassador before.
Oooh I love that idea! 'Day in the life' videos for students on lots of different courses could be really cool, especially if they were done as vlogs Thanks for your input!
Sandtrooper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StrawberryDreams)
Oooh I love that idea! 'Day in the life' videos for students on lots of different courses could be really cool, especially if they were done as vlogs Thanks for your input!
My department used to do a little sample week in the life page in their subject-specific prospectus, with a timetable plus added activities, and I always thought it was the most useful thing they could have done. University life is a mystery to so many, particularly first-generation students.
𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Campus tour is good. Accommodation should be better anyway on uni websites with lots of videos of each accommodation type (york is a good one with the layout of the flat as if you are walking there by clicking on the corridor)
100% have webinars on subjects complete with questions and answers afterwards.
Also webinar on what students tell potential students what they think about the city, the uni and what it has to offer (societies, eateries banks etc)
Paul Vincent
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Video testimonials from former students who have done well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (376)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (282)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (358)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (118)
4.62%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.07%
Loneliness (218)
8.54%
Financial worries (94)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.15%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.7%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (223)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.44%

Watched Threads