The Student Room Group

Are in person lectures going to be a thing in September?

I do miss seeing people
Doubt it. my uni is keeping lectures/large scale sessions online but planning to open up for workshops or small group things
Reply 2
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
I do miss seeing people

I think they could be seeing how the vaccine rollout has been so far. Happy thoughts
Lectures - probably not. Especially not universities have started building up a stock of recorded lecture material that can be watched by hundreds of people at their own pace and without clogging up the timetable.

Other in person teaching (seminars, labs, tutorials, small group sessions etc) yes
(edited 3 years ago)
No, it will be online, my uni confirmed this
(edited 3 years ago)
What unis have confirmed being online for sept?
My university is hoping to do blended learning in September, which more than likely will take the form of online lectures but in-person seminars.
I know at my uni lectures and lab work is continuing after Easter, but not sure about all unis. I'm like you, I miss people as in my degree lab work is where I meet a lot of people. However, not sure how much anxiety I'll experience once I get there though
What’s the difference between a seminar and lecture?
Original post by Anonymous

Lectures are where everyone on the module has a single talk given by a lecturer, whereas a seminar is normally a smaller group of students with a member of staff and they talk about the lecture content

One is a video you can find many times on YouTube for free, the other is also a YouTube video.
I would hope that people had the choice, and could watch lectures remotely if they wish to.
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
I do miss seeing people

Hi @Igotbbcalevel,

Hope you're doing okay :smile:

I think we all feel like this at the moment!

For a realistic answer, I'd recommend getting in touch with your university a bit closer to the time. Everyone's still figuring out what the future of teaching is going to look like, and there's no way every institution is going to take the same action so there's no point worrying about what's being said by anyone other than your lecturers!

Be sure to get specific details about your subject as well - practical and non-practical courses have very different rules at the moment which will likely be the case in September too.

Take care,

Sophie - Student Ambassador
(edited 3 years ago)

Size and amount of interaction. Seminars are usually 15-30 students and have a lot more interaction between students than lectures.
Mine had confirmed it will be lectures online and seminars in person. Which is sort of annoying in terms of having to travel (ie have to commute maybe every day for 1 hour tutorials). Two of my lecturers at least did their lectures live which I appreciated. Could ask questions as normal (though only 8 of 50 bothered attending)

Quick Reply

Latest