Can I talk about my mental illness in my personal statement?

Watch
charliesamuelm
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Next year I'm applying to study psychology at uni and a huge part of the reason I want to do this is because of my own experiences with mental health, particularly borderline personality disorder.
I want to say something about how living with BPD helped me to be able to talk to other people about mental health openly and how through listening to their experiences I began researching into different areas of psychology which eventually led me to studying it at A Level and then hopefully uni.
Would this be okay or should I think of a different way to word this? I'm not sure how well received mentioning my BPD would be. Any help is appreciated, thanks
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
You don't need to talk about how you got into psychology - focus on the why it interests you. And remember that psychology is an academic subject and more than mental health conditions
Golden Crow
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
If your mental health has been an essential part in the reason behind your undertaking of psychology as a degree, then yes. In fact, it would make your PS that much more personal and unique to you, which is what Universities look for, among other things.

However, I would advise putting it in a different way, such that it links to your desired course and not just as a standalone thing, in a succinct but captivating style. So you could talk about things like why your condition particularly has influenced your decision to study psychology, what do you hope to gain out of it as a consequence, what sort of challenges do you find in the field that you'd like to explore as a result of your experience.
Last edited by GoldenCrow; 8 months ago
University of East Anglia UG Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by charliesamuelm)
Next year I'm applying to study psychology at uni and a huge part of the reason I want to do this is because of my own experiences with mental health, particularly borderline personality disorder.
I want to say something about how living with BPD helped me to be able to talk to other people about mental health openly and how through listening to their experiences I began researching into different areas of psychology which eventually led me to studying it at A Level and then hopefully uni.
Would this be okay or should I think of a different way to word this? I'm not sure how well received mentioning my BPD would be. Any help is appreciated, thanks
Hi charliesamuelm,

This is absolutely FINE to include in a personal statement, universities want to see who YOU are, not what you want them to see. I agree with the other comments that there are good ways to word this, I would suggest explaining your passion for psychology first and why it interests you. Once this is laid out, then you can bring in how your mental health has helped you further this interest by seeking to understand your own mental health and being able to talk to others.

I personally think it's amazing to see you wanting to include this in your personal statement as it isn't talked about enough in young people, whatever university you decide to go for would be glad to have you!

Becca
University of Surrey Student Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi there

It's great to hear that next year you are applying to study University. When I was writing my personal statement, I focused on what made me interested about Psychology and also my own experience with mental health. Most universities like when your personal statement is PERSONAL to you!! This way they can see who you are and really delve into why your interested in studying Psychology. I would definitely mention it, but make sure to also include other factors about why your interested in Psychology also any extra circular activities, anything like that to show off who you are

As your interested in Psychology I thought I could provide you with some information about Psychology at Surrey:

This is an insight into what Psychology would be like in 2022: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/psychology. There is also 4 different courses you can do which is all listed under the key information area. Here you can see the entry requirements and should be able to see the modules

If you also look at these two links you will be able to delve deeper into the psychology department and look at the facilities and equipment that will be available to you if you studied Psychology here at Surrey:
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psychology
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/school-psyc...-and-equipment

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions, I am here to help

Becca
Changemaker 3417
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I started my full time degree last October (2020) and it is connected to my past and present situations. It's a new degree called innovation and skills for social change. I wrote in my PS that I have struggled with drug addiction for 24 years until 2 years ago. Also, I have been in care, homeless etc...
I want to be a changemaker for the better. I want to help make people's lives easier and more fairer. It's all in the wording but I believe like many others here that PS should be exactly that, personal to your situation.
I hope this helps 😊
I'm happy to give you some advice/support in writing your PS. message me.
Good luck 🤞🙏
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.87%
Okay (109)
29.07%
A bit lacking (139)
37.07%
Not good at all (90)
24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed