The Student Room Group

University of Leicester A100 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KK_2589
what do you mean tailored for Cardiff? Ive written a general PS for all applications.

They have a specific criteria, it would pretty much apply to all unis but just make sure you tick all the boxes
Reply 61
I’ve tried twice now to calculate my score and twice ended up with a different answer lol.

Can anyone please help me calculate my score. I want to compare it to what I got. First time I scored myself higher and second lower so not sure which score to go with lol

GCSE’s (06/2011):
Biology A
Chemistry A*
English A
Mathematics A
3 more GCSE at A and 2 at B (Geography, Physics)
GCSE short-course ICT A* (not sure what short course is)

A-levels (06/2013):
Biology C
Chemistry - A
Economics A*
EPQ E

(06/2014) In 2014 I took a gap year, did some work experience, and took a resit in my biology as-well as well as take on AS level (not full a-level) business studies, achieving an A in both (06/2014)

Following this, I went to university:
Date of registration; 22/Sep/2014
End of registration; 23/Sep/2019
Qualification Awarded; MPHARM Pharmacy Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
Date of Award; 01/Oct/2019

After degree, I started pre-registration trainee Pharmacist, 30th Sept 2019 27th Sept 2020. Following this there was the wait for the GPHC exam due to covid, and I finally became a registered Pharmacist on 15/05/2021.

UCAT:
Total score 2580 (645) Band 2
(verbal reasoning score was 550).

Work experience: not yet, but planning to get some next few weeks.

No WP or contextual flags
Original post by Leaf.
I’ve tried twice now to calculate my score and twice ended up with a different answer lol.

Can anyone please help me calculate my score. I want to compare it to what I got. First time I scored myself higher and second lower so not sure which score to go with lol

GCSE’s (06/2011):
Biology A
Chemistry A*
English A
Mathematics A
3 more GCSE at A and 2 at B (Geography, Physics)
GCSE short-course ICT A* (not sure what short course is)

A-levels (06/2013):
Biology C
Chemistry - A
Economics A*
EPQ E

(06/2014) In 2014 I took a gap year, did some work experience, and took a resit in my biology as-well as well as take on AS level (not full a-level) business studies, achieving an A in both (06/2014)

Following this, I went to university:
Date of registration; 22/Sep/2014
End of registration; 23/Sep/2019
Qualification Awarded; MPHARM Pharmacy Second Class Honours (Upper Division)
Date of Award; 01/Oct/2019

After degree, I started pre-registration trainee Pharmacist, 30th Sept 2019 27th Sept 2020. Following this there was the wait for the GPHC exam due to covid, and I finally became a registered Pharmacist on 15/05/2021.

UCAT:
Total score 2580 (645) Band 2
(verbal reasoning score was 550).

Work experience: not yet, but planning to get some next few weeks.

No WP or contextual flags

I think 57.5? What did you get when you scored yourself?
Reply 63
Original post by WTSBLG
I think 57.5? What did you get when you scored yourself?

Wth how did you get that score lol.

I just did it for the fourth time now and this is stress that I can't work it out.

UCAT SCORE (2580): 25.5

A-levels I think is where the confusion occurs. A-levels achieved on first sitting (over 2 years) A* Economics, A Chemistry, C in Biology = 26? I then re-sat biology in a gap year (over 3 years) and if we use the adjusted score then it gives 20? Which score would the medical school use????
Degree: 2:1 = 3
Total academic score = 3+26 = 29 OR 3 + 20 = 23

GCSE Scoring: 3+4+3+3+3+3+3+1 = 23 (this includes English and English literature not sure if that a problem) (didn’t include A* short course ICT)

any ideas pleaseeee??
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Leaf.
Wth how did you get that score lol.

I just did it for the fourth time now and this is stress that I can't work it out.

UCAT SCORE (2580): 25.5

A-levels I think is where the confusion occurs. A-levels achieved on first sitting (over 2 years) A* Economics, A Chemistry, C in Biology = 26? I then re-sat biology in a gap year (over 3 years) and if we use the adjusted score then it gives 20? Which score would the medical school use????
Degree: 2:1 = 3
Total academic score = 3+26 = 29 OR 3 + 20 = 23

GCSE Scoring: 3+4+3+3+3+3+3+1 = 23 (this includes English and English literature not sure if that a problem) (didn’t include A* short course ICT)

any ideas pleaseeee??

Ahh okay let's do this together! So UCAT score definitely 25.5.

The document says 'proved the minimum GCSE requirements have been met, your academic ability will be scored on the basis of your A-levels and degree'
So we don't include GCSEs in this.
So A* Economics = 10 (2 years), A Chemistry = 10 (2 years) then I assume adjusted 8 points for A Biology (3 years). Total: 28
Then add your degree 2:1 obtained of 3 points.
25.5 + 28 + 3 = 56.5?

Please check that again hahah but I think that's right now.
Reply 65
Original post by WTSBLG
Ahh okay let's do this together! So UCAT score definitely 25.5.

The document says 'proved the minimum GCSE requirements have been met, your academic ability will be scored on the basis of your A-levels and degree'
So we don't include GCSEs in this.
So A* Economics = 10 (2 years), A Chemistry = 10 (2 years) then I assume adjusted 8 points for A Biology (3 years). Total: 28
Then add your degree 2:1 obtained of 3 points.
25.5 + 28 + 3 = 56.5?

Please check that again hahah but I think that's right now.

Hahaha yeah I agree that’s prob right. Thank you so much mate. Actually really disappointed about that - was cut off was 57 last year?

That’s actually so sad if the cut off is above 56.5 - but also if it is I’m grateful for your help, as bc of you, it would then save me an application that prob wouldn’t make it past the cut off.

Thanks mate
Original post by Leaf.
Hahaha yeah I agree that’s prob right. Thank you so much mate. Actually really disappointed about that - was cut off was 57 last year?

That’s actually so sad if the cut off is above 56.5 - but also if it is I’m grateful for your help, as bc of you, it would then save me an application that prob wouldn’t make it past the cut off.

Thanks mate

Yeah, cut off was 57 last year, and no worries, I wish you all the best :smile:
could the competition at Leicester be fiercer this year considering that they are pretty much the only university that guarantees interviews to achieved a level students (dependent on UCAT decile), and since they gave deferred offers last year? it feels like a lot of achieved a level students are choosing to apply there.
Reply 68
Original post by HAMZAHHHH
Hiii basically I got a score of 56.5 according to the Leicester scoring system and ik last year the cut off was 57 and it's probably gonna be higher this year so would it be a dumb thing to do to apply to Leicester or no?? Ik I've probably just answered my own q but I thought i'd ask anyway lol

Hi where did you get the information that 57 was last years cut off score? i am a bit worried as i have a score of exactly 57
Reply 69
I agree with pepsicola 11 and was thinking the same. The conditions for guaranteed interview at Leicester are so low for achieved A levels that it is almost a negative. Leicester seems at risk of having a mountain of interviews to complete for not many places. Can anyone help me get around this...
Reply 70
Original post by WTSBLG
Yeah, cut off was 57 last year, and no worries, I wish you all the best :smile:

The score of 57 wasn't really a cut off, it was being guaranteed and interview. On the admission statistics they did interview people with lower scores but they are borderline groups.
Original post by Marz.15
The score of 57 wasn't really a cut off, it was being guaranteed and interview. On the admission statistics they did interview people with lower scores but they are borderline groups.

Ah okay thanks for letting me know!
Original post by pepsicola11
could the competition at Leicester be fiercer this year considering that they are pretty much the only university that guarantees interviews to achieved a level students (dependent on UCAT decile), and since they gave deferred offers last year? it feels like a lot of achieved a level students are choosing to apply there.

I am an applicant with achieved grades, will Leicester still look at my admission score (I have looked over their admission document but I could not see nay information about it)
Original post by chris01928
I am an applicant with achieved grades, will Leicester still look at my admission score (I have looked over their admission document but I could not see nay information about it)

from my understanding, no. I think if you have required A Levels and a 6th decile+ UCAT = interview

yh im a bit scared abt this. too luckily all my other options are safe.

like for example, Plymouth increased their entry requirements to A*AA after the UCAS deadline last yr so anyone who was predicted AAA was automatically rejected so Leicester may go against their word but I really hope they don't
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by xsowmix
yh im a bit scared abt this. too luckily all my other options are safe.

like for example, Plymouth increased their entry requirements to A*AA after the UCAS deadline last yr so anyone who was predicted AAA was automatically rejected so Leicester may go against their word but I really hope they don't

yeah exactly. I think I may choose elsewhere, not sure. what are your options if you don't mind me asking?
yeah exactly. I think I may choose elsewhere, not sure. what are your options if you don't mind me asking?

im putting down Manchester, SGUL and UCL (usually wld be a risky option but I missed their offer this yr and they have said if I get the grades in the resits I can join next yr which is basically achieving 1 A* for me)
Original post by xsowmix
im putting down Manchester, SGUL and UCL (usually wld be a risky option but I missed their offer this yr and they have said if I get the grades in the resits I can join next yr which is basically achieving 1 A* for me)

omg well I rlly hope you get the grade, that would be so great! good luck :smile:
hi im an international student taking a gap year and im thinking of applying to leicester
-my ucat score was 2710
vr 630
dm 660
qr 690
ar 730
b2

-i got achieved ib of 40 points with 776 hl for geo, bio and chem

-i didnt take gcse but the equivalent with myp would give me
8x9's
5x8's

thank you <3
Hello, I read about guaranteed interviews at Leicester and it said top 5 deciles are guaranteed interviews - is this for achieved A level students only? I thought 50% of the application was dependent on UCAT score and the other 50% on GCSEs - are people with predicted A levels at a disadvantage to those with achieved A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending