funding for healthcare masters -conflicting answers from SLC a masters

Watch
pestcontrol
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi there, can you please clear up some confusion?

I've just called the Student Loans Company and they have explained that I am entitled to tuition fees loan and maintenance loan for a health masters (MSc Occupational Therapy, pre-registration) despite already having a Masters (arts subject, funded entirely by myself).

However I have seen answers on here that I would not be entitled to the funding because I have a Masters already.

Can you please clear this up for me? Are SLC wrong?
Shaun SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pestcontrol)
Hi there, can you please clear up some confusion?

I've just called the Student Loans Company and they have explained that I am entitled to tuition fees loan and maintenance loan for a health masters (MSc Occupational Therapy, pre-registration) despite already having a Masters (arts subject, funded entirely by myself).

However I have seen answers on here that I would not be entitled to the funding because I have a Masters already.

Can you please clear this up for me? Are SLC wrong?
Good Morning,

You would still get funding for the pre-registration course mentioned above as your masters isn't in the same field as the pre-registration course.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
pestcontrol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shaun SFE)
Good Morning,

You would still get funding for the pre-registration course mentioned above as your masters isn't in the same field as the pre-registration course.

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
thanks Shaun. Will the tuition fee loan completely cover fees, and how much maintenance loan could I get?
Shaun SFE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by pestcontrol)
thanks Shaun. Will the tuition fee loan completely cover fees, and how much maintenance loan could I get?
You would need to check with the university regarding the fees being charged but we will cover the maximum available which is £9250.

You can get an idea of funding available via the calculator here > https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

Warm Regards,

Shaun.
pestcontrol
Rep:
?
Thanks Shaun for this.
Can you please confirm my eligibility for the maintenance loan? I've had one university tell me that the max I would be eligible for, fees + maintenance, is this, and split over 2 years (the MSc is two years): £11,222 if your course starts on or after 1 August 2020

I'm confused about this because I've spoken to someone at SLC who has said that I would be entitled to 9, 250 for fees plus maintenance loan of around 6000 (based on household income) for each year.

Has the SLC person got it wrong?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads