So I was crossing the road

Watch
coolchem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
A car was turning 90 degrees into a road which I was about to cross. I decided to wait for the car to let it go past and when I was in the middle of the road, the car was about 1 metre past me to my right. It moved slowly then stopped and then the person decided to reverse to go back to the direction he came from (I was still in the middle of the road while this happened). I think he decided to reverse because another car was opposite before him which wanted to get past. So, I was in the middle of the road and he decided to reverse all of a sudden. I was pretty close to the car, and it definitely made sense to go back to where I started rather than risk crossing the road since I wasn't dead on centre of the car (definitely would have got run over). So I walked back to my starting point, waited a few seconds to let the first car let the second car go past and then crossed safely.
I was wondering though- who was at fault here? When I started to cross, the car was a bit past me and I was behind the car, although only a metre or so away. The driver didn't seem to notice me at all whilst reversing.

it wasn't as bad as I'm making it out to be, but this concept is a little tricky, especially since I'm too young to drive. Was I to blame?
Last edited by coolchem; 2 weeks ago
rthompsonh
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you'd already started crossing, because you thought it was safe to do so, the driver is definitely at fault, he should've checked his surroundings and waited for you to cross before reversing.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yea sounds like a clear driver fault. They should be stopping and checking around them before attempting to change direction and should already be aware there is a pedestrian in the road and waiting till you're clear. IMO anyway.

As a pedestrian you should have possibly stayed off the road entirely till they were gone, but they've not been clear about their intentions.
coolchem
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Yea sounds like a clear driver fault. They should be stopping and checking around them before attempting to change direction and should already be aware there is a pedestrian in the road and waiting till you're clear. IMO anyway.

As a pedestrian you should have possibly stayed off the road entirely till they were gone, but they've not been clear about their intentions.
(Original post by rthompsonh)
If you'd already started crossing, because you thought it was safe to do so, the driver is definitely at fault, he should've checked his surroundings and waited for you to cross before reversing.
I see, thank you very much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (476)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (365)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (458)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (152)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (197)
6.04%
Loneliness (280)
8.59%
Financial worries (114)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (293)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.39%

Watched Threads