The Student Room Group

Why are poor people poor?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by imlikeahermit
That question isn’t really a good barometer is it. Because I, a somewhat well adjusted individual who has been raised well of course haven’t burgled at all. However, some vagrant who’s been raised by someone who knows no better themselves has probably burgled numerous times. If anything, you’re helping to prove my point. Children should be removed from parents who cannot look after them correctly.

So reducing the penalty for burglery wouldn't mean you'd start burgling?

Why do you think those not well brought up are influenced by the sentencing?
Arguably anything that is completely legal is beneficial to society. Low level vagrancy isn’t legal, petty theft isn’t legal, burglary isn’t legal. Or at least, last time I checked.

So by that logic the following is beneficial to society:

Obesity
Alcoholism
Being unemployed
Getting a face tattoo
Smoking 100 cigarettes a day
Cutting yourself
Cheating on your spouse
Legal tax evasion

... I could go on.

These things are wrong in and if themselves and are damaging to society and the individual. Even if the only thing you care about is money is going into the economy* it still probably works out at a net loss overall.

Eg an alcoholic obese smoker might bring in good tax revenue but he will cost the NHS plus additional social costs. There is no such thing as a victimless crime. Now I'm not advocating banning smoking or alcohol etc but I am saying that just because something is legal doesn't make it good.

*I can go into why that is wrong too.
Original post by Starship Trooper
So by that logic the following is beneficial to society:

Obesity
Alcoholism
Being unemployed
Getting a face tattoo
Smoking 100 cigarettes a day
Cutting yourself
Cheating on your spouse
Legal tax evasion

... I could go on.

These things are wrong in and if themselves and are damaging to society and the individual. Even if the only thing you care about is money is going into the economy* it still probably works out at a net loss overall.

Eg an alcoholic obese smoker might bring in good tax revenue but he will cost the NHS plus additional social costs. There is no such thing as a victimless crime. Now I'm not advocating banning smoking or alcohol etc but I am saying that just because something is legal doesn't make it good.

*I can go into why that is wrong too.

Not entirely sure the argument you’re attempting to make here, because I agree for the most part. My point originally was about reducing low level vagrancy, not about the ‘Wall Street killers.’

For what it’s worth all of what you’ve mentioned about are things that don’t directly harm innocent people. They involve other people but don’t harm them. Burglary, theft etc, all harm innocent people. That’s the difference in my eyes.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 83
Not entirely sure the argument you’re attempting to make here, because I agree for the most part. My point originally was about reducing low level vagrancy, not about the ‘Wall Street killers.’

For what it’s worth all of what you’ve mentioned about are things that don’t directly harm innocent people. They involve other people but don’t harm them. Burglary, theft etc, all harm innocent people. That’s the difference in my eyes.

Burglary and theft are illegal.

The things the poster remarked on are legal. Alcoholism and being unemployed were a couple of examples they gave.

You said...
Arguably anything that is completely legal is beneficial to society.

I think the poster wondered how alcoholism and being unemployed (and the rest of their list) were things which are beneficial to society.
Original post by Quady
Burglary and theft are illegal.

The things the poster remarked on are legal. Alcoholism and being unemployed were a couple of examples they gave.

You said...

I think the poster wondered how alcoholism and being unemployed (and the rest of their list) were things which are beneficial to society.

Then what I said was phrased incorrectly. But the point I’m making still stands. I should have mentioned the harm element earlier.

FYI, if I wanted an argument with someone who just plays devil’s advocate I would have quoted you directly...
Reply 85
That question isn’t really a good barometer is it. Because I, a somewhat well adjusted individual who has been raised well of course haven’t burgled at all. However, some vagrant who’s been raised by someone who knows no better themselves has probably burgled numerous times. If anything, you’re helping to prove my point. Children should be removed from parents who cannot look after them correctly.

Given you have no counterfactual, how are you so sure that for others changing sentencing affects propensity to burgle.

Like, you admit sentencing makes no difference to whether you'd burgle or not. Why would it make any odds to a vagrant?

Would you take in those children? Plenty about for adoption, have you?
Reply 86
Then what I said was phrased incorrectly. But the point I’m making still stands. I should have mentioned the harm element earlier.

So you agree hedge fund shorting should be reduced too then?
Original post by Quady
Given you have no counterfactual, how are you so sure that for others changing sentencing affects propensity to burgle.

Like, you admit sentencing makes no difference to whether you'd burgle or not. Why would it make any odds to a vagrant?

Would you take in those children? Plenty about for adoption, have you?

No counter factual because no government has every truly tried tougher sentencing. I mean, in this country you can murder someone and get out in twenty years. What does that say about the rest of our criminal justice system?

It would make that vagrant locked up, and therefore not a risk to the public. Don’t see a downside to that to be honest.

Sarcasm doesn’t suit you. But what I will say is that children in care do better than those left with unfit parents. There was data produced comparing outcomes of those in care against those of low income PP households and those in care did better. I can’t be bothered to find it, but just have a Google.

Basically what Quady said. (Post #84)

However I want to dig in to your above point and explore your harm principle. I agree that some of the examples I have do not directly harm people the way that stabbing someone is. But I would say they are not entirely unrelated.

Direct Harm - DH
Indirect Harm- IH

Imagine a family: wife, husband and kids. The wife's father dies from lung cancer (IH) which causes her to be depressed and lashes out at her husband who begins eating more to deal with stress and becomes obese (IH). The Wife becomes unattracted to her husband and starts an affair (IH) and then eventually leaves her family to start a new relationship (IH)

The Husband becomes increasingly depressed and becomes an alcoholic (IH) leading him to lose his job (IH) and have to move his family to somewhere cheaper. All of the above has obviously devastated the children who are unable to do well at school due to tumultuous home life. They are unable to find partly because of this. The father eventually kills himself and to deal with this one of the kids becomes a drug addict (IH). Five years later , completely off his head on various drugs he kills a police officer.

(I believe in free will, personal responsibility and being VERY firm on Law and Order. FYI but things like the above show that criminality doesn't always happen in a vacuum.)
(edited 2 years ago)
Basically what Quady said. (Post #84)

However I want to dig in to your above point and explore your harm principle. I agree that some of the examples I have do not directly harm people the way that stabbing someone is. But I would say they are not entirely unrelated.

Direct Harm - DH
Indirect Harm- IH

Imagine a family: wife, husband and kids. The wife's father dies from lung cancer (IH) which causes her to be depressed and lashes out at her husband who begins eating more to deal with stress and becomes obese (IH). The Wife becomes unattracted to her husband and starts an affair (IH) and then eventually leaves her family to start a new relationship (IH)

The Husband becomes increasingly depressed and becomes an alcoholic (IH) leading him to lose his job (IH) and have to move his family to somewhere cheaper. All of the above has obviously devastated the children who are unable to do well at school due to tumultuous home life. They are unable to find partly because of this. The father eventually kills himself and to deal with this one of the kids becomes a drug addict (IH). Five years later , completely off his head on various drugs he kills a police officer.

(I believe in free will, personal responsibility and being VERY firm on Law and Order. FYI but things like the above show that criminality doesn't always happen in a vacuum.)

Great point, and as soon as I typed my earlier response I knew you’d come back with that. But that has no relevance to the discussion about low level crime requiring tougher sentencing...

Once again, I’m perplexed as to what we’re debating, because I agree. But it also doesn’t change the fact that low level vagrancy is directly harmful, intentionally harmful, and could truly be prevented from repeatedly happening by repeat offenders.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 90
But that has no relevance to the discussion about low level crime requiring tougher sentencing...

tbh that's not what this discussion is about, it's just what you railroaded the discussion to be about...
Great point, and as soon as I typed my earlier response I knew you’d come back with that. But that has no relevance to the discussion about low level crime requiring tougher sentencing...

Once again, I’m perplexed as to what we’re debating, because I agree. But it also doesn’t change the fact that low level vagrancy is directly harmful, intentionally harmful, and could truly be prevented from repeatedly happening by repeat offenders.

Cool, we're in agreement then! :smile:
Original post by Quady
tbh that's not what this discussion is about, it's just what you railroaded the discussion to be about...

Great stuff, as always from you.

Precisely :rolleyes:

I suggest you watch the latest episode of ‘24 hours in Police custody.’ :smile:

Exemplifies my point perfectly. In fact all of my beliefs. Firstly, that we have no deterrent for repeat offenders. Secondly, that the CPS is at times not fit for purpose. And lastly; that the judiciary are ridiculously out of touch and basically useless.

In summary, a repeat offender assaults her partner weeks after being released from prison for the same thing. Partner ends up close to death with horrendous brain injuries. She’s allowed to sit there and say absolutely nothing. Partner ends up actually dieing from a heart attack while in hospital. When this is all said and done and she goes to court, what happens? 16 months in prison because she’s had a hard past. Laughable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending