tomatoess
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi
im picking my alevels now and deciding between physics/ bio and im also doing maths and chem. the main reason im finsing it so hard to decide is because i dont know what university course i want to do or if i want to do medicine or not. despite looking through hundreds of uni degrees i still have no clue what i want to do ..... any advice on how to decide/find something
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Firstly if you’re not set on medicine it’s probably not for you, it’s a super competitive course and people know if they want to do it.

Websites like Uni Compare have subject guides and I think there are some on the student room too. Have you thought about a career, you could always work backwards from that? Also university isn’t the only option.

If you are completely unable to make a decision pick what you enjoy the most as it’ll be most likely to lead to something else that you enjoy.
emek4official
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think you should do medicine because you would know by now and be certain. What other subjects do you like?
clockwork30
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi I'm a medical student at Bristol. At your stage, I was also unsure whether Medicine was right for me or not. There is no specific time when you will "just know" if you want to do it or not and it's okay to be unsure at this point. Just because you're not sure whether you want to do med at the moment or not, doesn't mean that you should completely rule it out.

When I was choosing A Levels, because I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do, I decided to choose subjects that I loved at GCSE, which were Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Physics. After Y12, I ended up hating Physics and dropping it at AS. And in Y13, I did an EPQ on Music because I quite enjoy essay writing. In the end, I did choose Med because I really loved Bio and Chem and understanding key biological concepts. I did English because it was one of my favourite and strongest subjects in general at school. I knew it would be a great contrast to the science subjects which was amazing for me as I didn't feel stressed out by science etc. English helped develop my essay writing skills which even comes in handy now at university, when we do research projects. So just go with the A Levels that you have really ENJOYED!
emek4official
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by clockwork30)
Hi I'm a medical student at Bristol. At your stage, I was also unsure whether Medicine was right for me or not. There is no specific time when you will "just know" if you want to do it or not and it's okay to be unsure at this point. Just because you're not sure whether you want to do med at the moment or not, doesn't mean that you should completely rule it out.

When I was choosing A Levels, because I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do, I decided to choose subjects that I loved at GCSE, which were Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Physics. After Y12, I ended up hating Physics and dropping it at AS. And in Y13, I did an EPQ on Music because I quite enjoy essay writing. In the end, I did choose Med because I really loved Bio and Chem and understanding key biological concepts. I did English because it was one of my favourite and strongest subjects in general at school. I knew it would be a great contrast to the science subjects which was amazing for me as I didn't feel stressed out by science etc. English helped develop my essay writing skills which even comes in handy now at university, when we do research projects. So just go with the A Levels that you have really ENJOYED!
It's hard to know when choosing though, because at GCSE, I really LOVED Chemistry. But now, at A Level, I personally don't like the subject anymore.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tomatoess)
hi
im picking my alevels now and deciding between physics/ bio and im also doing maths and chem. the main reason im finsing it so hard to decide is because i dont know what university course i want to do or if i want to do medicine or not. despite looking through hundreds of uni degrees i still have no clue what i want to do ..... any advice on how to decide/find something
Hi there.

I am currently a student at Portsmouth University.

They sound like great options and will keep many options open to you at university. If you are looking to go into medicine you will need chemistry and biology for most universities. Having maths and or physics will open up all universities.

I hope this helps
Ethan - UOP Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (173)
41.99%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (61)
14.81%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (170)
41.26%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.94%

Watched Threads