The Student Room Group

Advice needed

I have received an offer from University of York which I applied using UCAS extra. I have accepted the offer as a firm choice and it is unconditional. I recently found out that Loughborough also has places for computer science and want to go there. What should i do? any chances of applying there without risking my offer on york . Thanks
Loughborough is a terrible uni. Stick to York
Reply 2
Original post by Caz1234567
Loughborough is a terrible uni. Stick to York

Why is Loughborough terrible?
Original post by hggkhghk
any chances of applying there without risking my offer on york . Thanks

Not completely risk free, no. You could ask York if they would make you another offer (presuming the course is still open) if you declined them to explore other options via Extra. They won’t be able to guarantee but might give you an indication.

You can’t apply to Loughborough whilst you’re holding the current offer.
Original post by Euapp
Why is Loughborough terrible?

It's only good for sports or engineering. Everyone else I know who's studied a different course at Loughborough has dropped out because of how bad it was
Aren’t you able to call their applications team and get an indication of whether they’d make you an offer? I went through Adjustment after my A-Levels, obviously not the same process but I remember calling and getting sort of informal offers from everyone over the phone then choosing them on Track.

Don’t let people’s opinions on Loughborough dishearten you! It’s all about which one you’d prefer and both unis /cities offer different things. Loughborough was one of the unis that gave me an informal offer through Adjustment and I chose Manchester over it as it’s a lot better for nightlife /city-based, whereas I’ve heard Loughborough is very out the way and you have to travel out of the area for a good night out, but think it’s quite a sporty uni if that’s what you’re into, really depends what you want out of your time at uni.
Original post by hggkhghk
I have received an offer from University of York which I applied using UCAS extra. I have accepted the offer as a firm choice and it is unconditional. I recently found out that Loughborough also has places for computer science and want to go there. What should i do? any chances of applying there without risking my offer on york . Thanks

Hi @hggkhghk.

Sorry for the delayed response - I have been waiting to hear back from our Admission's team about your situation. They have now responded and said that as you have accepted an unconditional offer, you are now placed at York and you will not be able to make any changes until Clearing opens later in the year.

However, if you have met our requirements, you are able to email us on or just after 5th July when Clearing formally opens. Our Admission's team will be able to advise and look into accepting you via clearing, at which point you can ask York to release you, but as you have accepted an unconditional offer they are placed and nothing can be done at the moment.

I hope that makes sense. If you would like to discuss this in further detail, we would advise contacting [email protected] who may be able to clarify.
Ella
You cannot preserve the York offer and apply to Loughborough.
You have to either decline York and make an Extra application to LB in the hope that they might accept you, or just be grateful you got an offer at all and go to York.
Reply 8
Original post by Caz1234567
It's only good for sports or engineering. Everyone else I know who's studied a different course at Loughborough has dropped out because of how bad it was

My mum studied economics there and got accepted by all of the big 4 in London for her ACA. She said it was great. Admittedly it was a long time ago!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending