agrimreaper
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hey! I'm an international applicant for the 2021 entry. I have received offers from both UCL and UofE for the integrated masters course in astrophysics. Now, I'm torn between the two. I know for a fact that the ranking and location of UCL would provide a significant boost, but I wanted to know what I'd be missing out at UofE if I chose UCL over it and vice versa. I have done my own comparisons between the two, but if anyone else would like to weigh in, that would be much appreciated.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Honestly, I would consider Edinburgh the stronger physics department out of the two of them. Edinburgh hosts the Higgs centre, for starters, and seems to have a wider range of physics programmes with various options, compared to UCL. That said UCL does have some strengths in planetary science, if that is your interest. In general terms the two universities are pretty equivalent academically and in terms of "prestige", for whatever it's worth.

Being based in London doesn't really mean anything either way necessarily; some people don't like living in London, others do. In my opinion Edinburgh is the nicer city of the two, but I prefer slightly smaller cities than sprawling metropolises like London...
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'd go for UCL, Edinburgh has a really low student satisfaction rating. Also UCL has a great science department as well as being a great place for career opportunities
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.33%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (14)
15.56%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (17)
18.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (10)
11.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (30)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
17.78%

Watched Threads