The Student Room Group

London mayor candidates...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56589260

There's a record 20 candidates standing: what's the point for most of these people running when the best they can hope for is 1% ? Especially the right wing candidates who are literally flushing money down the toilet.

Also just general London mayoral discussion: eg if you live in London who if any you're voting for etc.

Scroll to see replies

I can’t vote, too young haha, but if I could I’d be voting for Shaun Bailey as he said he’ll put a stop to one of Sadiq Khans projects in my local area, which us residents are really against.
I have a dilemma as to who to vote for, both first and second choice (you have two votes):

- Shaun Bailey is a Tory so that rules him out, as voting Tory I have never considered, and it would be condoning Boris Johnson's serial lies, deaths from inaction, and misogyny.
- Sadiq Khan has failed in any respect in tackling crime, even with the legacy he inherited should have done better.
- Sian Berry as the Green Party leader loses any chance of my vote because of the party's vote on self ID without any qualification or exceptions.
- Luisa Porritt, the Lib Dem candidate is totally unknown and I disagreed with their cancel Brexit without a referendum policy.
- Count Binface is a joke candidate, and even I take him seriously, disagree with his Croydon policy.
- Any of the UKIP or pseudo UKIP candidates are yesterday's people so a no-no.
- Vanessa Hudson, the Animal Welfare Party, seems appealing but no real transport or crime policies.
- Laurence Fox is hateful and in any case his Covid 19 policy would kill some people.
- Kate Mandu, Women's Equality Party I understand have views on self ID which as with the Greens I dissent from.

Know nothing about the others. What do I do?
Original post by barnet1471
I have a dilemma as to who to vote for, both first and second choice (you have two votes):

- Shaun Bailey is a Tory so that rules him out, as voting Tory I have never considered, and it would be condoning Boris Johnson's serial lies, deaths from inaction, and misogyny.
- Sadiq Khan has failed in any respect in tackling crime, even with the legacy he inherited should have done better.
- Sian Berry as the Green Party leader loses any chance of my vote because of the party's vote on self ID without any qualification or exceptions.
- Luisa Porritt, the Lib Dem candidate is totally unknown and I disagreed with their cancel Brexit without a referendum policy.
- Count Binface is a joke candidate, and even I take him seriously, disagree with his Croydon policy.
- Any of the UKIP or pseudo UKIP candidates are yesterday's people so a no-no.
- Vanessa Hudson, the Animal Welfare Party, seems appealing but no real transport or crime policies.
- Laurence Fox is hateful and in any case his Covid 19 policy would kill some people.
- Kate Mandu, Women's Equality Party I understand have views on self ID which as with the Greens I dissent from.

Know nothing about the others. What do I do?

Choose whichever one you dislike the least? Spoilt ballot? Not vote?
If I lived in London I would probably vote for Fox and maybe Kurten. It would be better if the Tories didn't have any London seats to help shift the party to the right.
Original post by Starship Trooper
If I lived in London I would probably vote for Fox and maybe Kurten. It would be better if the Tories didn't have any London seats to help shift the party to the right.

Personally I don't see why the tories having any london seats affects their 'image'. They represent lots of areas in London, mine included, and that's because that's why their voters live. It's all right having a bit of right wing influence in Ldn.
Original post by Buddingdentist08
I can’t vote, too young haha, but if I could I’d be voting for Shaun Bailey as he said he’ll put a stop to one of Sadiq Khans projects in my local area, which us residents are really against.

I think most people would prefer Shaun Bailey simply because it means Sadiq Khan gets booted out of office. His long list of absurd money-wasting projects and general incompetence when tackling issues such as violent crime shows how he is not capable of running London.
Personally I don't see why the tories having any london seats affects their 'image'. They represent lots of areas in London, mine included, and that's because that's why their voters live. It's all right having a bit of right wing influence in Ldn.

It doesn't affect their Image it affects their policy and drags the party as a whole leftwards as London candidate try and make the party more appealing to Socially liberal Londoners. London is irredeemably left wing

These elections in London and everywhere else they are taking place will be compared with results in 2016, when UKIP did well even at local level, and in particular for the Senedd and the London Assembly. Even with the awful government, they are likely to gain most of the seats won by UKIP in 2016 and so end up with more councillors and Assembly members. So the Prime Minister will hail this as vindication and a great triumph, even though Shaun Bailey will probably be a distant second to Sadiq Khan in the London Mayor election.

Laurence Fox is well known and will get a fair amount of publicity, but I cannot see him getting more votes than Shaun Bailey. Even with the pandemic, the Tory vote tends to turn out more at local elections than those of other parties.
It doesn't affect their Image it affects their policy and drags the party as a whole leftwards as London candidate try and make the party more appealing to Socially liberal Londoners. London is irredeemably left wing

Trust me. The part of London where I live is not left wing. I know lots of people in my area would hate to have a left wing representative
Trust me. The part of London where I live is not left wing. I know lots of people in my area would hate to have a left wing representative

The exception proves the rule.
UKIP just going all out with their literal gammon candidate...

It’s not about winning for most of these, especially the business people, YouTubers, faith leaders, small parties etc.. it’s just about using it as a platform to grow their reach. 10k isn’t much to pay for the press and media opportunities you get from running.
I also really like Brian rose..

Guys seen any generic evil boss in a movie or tv show and just thought “yes.. that’s going to be my look”

There are plenty of parts of London that are not left wing. Bromley, Barnet and Uxbridge have almost always elected Tory MPs, UKIP in the last decade did well in Havering, the BNP in the noughties had councillors in Barking and Dagenham, for example.
Reply 14
Original post by JOSH4598
I think most people would prefer Shaun Bailey simply because it means Sadiq Khan gets booted out of office. His long list of absurd money-wasting projects and general incompetence when tackling issues such as violent crime shows how he is not capable of running London.

Not according to the polls showing Khan cruising to a landslide victory https://mobile.twitter.com/britainelects/status/1373980016996925443?lang=en

So I'd be interested to see evidence for your assertion that most people prefer Bailey.

Seems like it's not just lefties who live in an echo chamber.
Original post by JOSH4598

Bailey's conservative views are straight out of the 1950s. He is not going to do well in somewhere as well educated and liberal as London. Which is why, for all of Khan's failings, he is on course for a landslide victory. I'm not sure if this is reflective of the Conservatives making a serious misstep or simply reflective of an utter dearth of talent within the party.
(edited 2 years ago)
As long as it’s not Khan I don’t give a toss. How someone can sit again with such an utterly appalling record in office is beyond me.

Meanwhile... “Sadiq Khan will do everything in his power to cut stop and search...”
Original post by Contested Claim
Bailey's conservative views are straight out of the 1950s. He is not going to well in somewhere as well educated and liberal as London. Which is why, for all of Khan's failings, he is on course for a landslide victory. I'm not sure if this is reflective of the Conservatives making a serious misstep or simply reflective of an utter dearth of talent within the party.

The Conservative membership is largely older (average age 55, a third over 65), 71% male. They chose the worst of 11 candidates to be party leader. So I have no idea if there is any ability or talent in the Conservative Party.

Their campaign and financial illiteracy suggest that they do not expect to win.
Reply 18
Always baffles me why so many people who don't live in London care so much about the people election for Mayor.

Despite the right wing social media bubbles blaming eveything from litter dropping to Isis on Khan, the fact is he remains relatively popular in London where it actually matters.
Original post by imlikeahermit
As long as it’s not Khan I don’t give a toss. How someone can sit again with such an utterly appalling record in office is beyond me.

Meanwhile... “Sadiq Khan will do everything in his power to cut stop and search...”

We've seen a rise in violent crime and robbery in other cities. We've seen real term cuts in police budgets across the country. We've seen criminal courts squeezed across the country resulting in massive backlogs even before coivd. We've seen council budgets slashed across the country meaning they've had to withdraw vital funding from charity support services. We've seen disastrous reforms of the probation service.

By all means blame Khan for this.

Conservatives: running away from personal responsibility since 1834.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest