What jobs can I do with an English Lit degree besides teaching??

Watch
fillycheese
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have tried to look for different jobs but they just all lead towards education/teaching of some sort, which is not what I want to do.
Gatlema
Badges: 9
Report 1 week ago
It's probably easier to say if we know what you don't like about teaching or what sort of aspects of a job you like.

Big one would be content – essentially writing for marketing. If you have any kind of experience writing voluntary articles (eg for the Tab) it can be a help. Look up entry-level copywriter positions (not sure how many will be going at this time). The key is to remember that you're writing not for literary merit but for marketing purposes – to drive a goal – and so your writing is focused around things like the user journey, search engine optimisation and so on as much as quality content.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Consider doing a Masters in Business & Management (MBM). Strathclyde offers a good programme. The advantage of this programme is that it was designed for people who dont have business studies as their first degree; it's built for people like you. Once you get your MSc in Business & Management, you can apply for graduate jobs in any company. No more thinking teaching is the only route for you.
fillycheese
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks for the advice and this was something that could genuinely be of interest to me! However, as I am a U.K. resident I don’t think I am eligible

(Original post by mike23mike)
Consider doing a Masters in Business & Management (MBM). Strathclyde offers a good programme. The advantage of this programme is that it was designed for people who dont have business studies as their first degree; it's built for people like you. Once you get your MSc in Business & Management, you can apply for graduate jobs in any company. No more thinking teaching is the only route for you.
Last edited by fillycheese; 5 days ago
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by fillycheese)
Thanks for the advice and this was something that could genuinely be of interest to me! However, as I am a U.K. resident I don’t think I am eligible 🤗
You will have to pay for a masters wherever you choose to study. There are similar programmes in UK unis too.
fillycheese
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
You will have to pay for a masters wherever you choose to study. There are similar programmes in UK unis too.
I am fully aware that I will have to pay. My point is that, as a U.K. resident and having to pay myself, I am not eligible for further funding to complete another masters
Last edited by fillycheese; 5 days ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by fillycheese)
I am fully aware that I will have to pay. My point is that, as a U.K. resident and having to pay myself, I am not eligible for further funding to complete another masters
What do you mean another masters? You haven't done one yet have you?

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (66)
19.02%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.7%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.9%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.86%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.17%
Taster lectures or seminars (72)
20.75%
Speak to current students studying my course (80)
23.05%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (13)
3.75%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.75%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.31%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.73%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
2.02%

Watched Threads