Dragon24
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a friend who is doing a PGCE but does not want to go into teaching after this. I'm not sure why they would finish the qualification off if they won't go in to teaching. They also won't say why they don't want to go into teaching which is a shame as if they said myself and our friends could probably understand if they had made the right decision. What careers could they go into after a PGCE showing transferable skills?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dragon24)
I have a friend who is doing a PGCE but does not want to go into teaching after this. I'm not sure why they would finish the qualification off if they won't go in to teaching. They also won't say why they don't want to go into teaching which is a shame as if they said myself and our friends could probably understand if they had made the right decision. What careers could they go into after a PGCE showing transferable skills?
Finishing off the qualification is a sensible move, as by this point they've already paid for most of the tuition, so it makes sense just to finish it off in case they want to return to teaching in the future.

It seems a bit odd that you're asking all this for your friend? If they wanted to tell you the reasons behind their career decision, they would, but if they'd rather not share then maybe they're trying to express that they don't want your help in this?
Dragon24
Rep:
?
My friends and I would certainly not intervene but want to prepare just in case they need support, as our friend is susceptible to anxiety and depression as they have been through this a lot. I understand it's personal and they don't want to discuss it. Thanks for pointing out they could return to teaching in future, that makes sense after paying so much money and it's near the end now.
hotpud
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dragon24)
My friends and I would certainly not intervene but want to prepare just in case they need support, as our friend is susceptible to anxiety and depression as they have been through this a lot. I understand it's personal and they don't want to discuss it. Thanks for pointing out they could return to teaching in future, that makes sense after paying so much money and it's near the end now.
That's very thoughtful of you. However, the best support you can offer is to be there an to listen. Offering people your own perceived solutions to their difficult problems is often the last thing they need. They will find their path and will do it much easier if they have the support and help of some good friends.
Dragon24
Rep:
?
(Original post by hotpud)
That's very thoughtful of you. However, the best support you can offer is to be there an to listen. Offering people your own perceived solutions to their difficult problems is often the last thing they need. They will find their path and will do it much easier if they have the support and help of some good friends.
Thank you, this makes sense as they want support not to be dictated too. Also, if they make their own decision you cannot be held accountable when you were not involved in their decision.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (162)
41.75%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.43%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (162)
41.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.06%

Watched Threads