I don't understand this ship mechanics question at all

Watch this thread
TSR360
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Q:
https://i.imgur.com/rxrZ2Pj.png
https://i.imgur.com/CvKu5hG.png

My forces diagram:
https://i.imgur.com/JMmlEcU.png

The tension of the cable should be 1200 N. What did I do wrong?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TSR360)
Q:
https://i.imgur.com/rxrZ2Pj.png
https://i.imgur.com/CvKu5hG.png

My forces diagram:
https://i.imgur.com/JMmlEcU.png

The tension of the cable should be 1200 N. What did I do wrong?
There are 4 sailors each providing a force of 300N ... so total tension is 4 x 300N.
TSR360
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
There are 4 sailors each providing a force of 300N ... so total tension is 4 x 300N.
In the textbook it says the tension is 3600 N....
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
In the textbook it says the tension is 3600 N....
The 4 linear forces are 300N each, what are the "distances" used when equating the moments though (sailors <-> string tension). It's basically a "lever-type" question.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 year ago
TSR360
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
The 4 linear forces are 300N each, what are the "distances" used when equating the moments though (sailors <-> string tension). It's basically a "lever-type" question.
Sorry, but I'm still confused. What distances are you talking about and how is it a lever-type question?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, but I'm still confused. What distances are you talking about and how is it a lever-type question?
You should be equating moments as you're rotating about a point.
Draw the diagram with the distances and linear forces marked on and upload.
TSR360
Rep:
You should be equating moments as you're rotating about a point.
Draw the diagram with the distances and linear forces marked on and upload.
I don't know how to draw a diagram like that. The one I have in my w/o is the best I could do.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Missed that. The top diagram is fine.
You have 4 * 300N a distance 1.5m from the centre and a single tension 0.5m from the centre.
So ....
TSR360
Rep:
Missed that. The top diagram is fine.
You have 4 * 300N a distance 1.5m from the centre and a single tension 0.5m from the centre.
So ....
How does a single tension of 0.5 come from the centre?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
How does a single tension of 0.5 come from the centre?
The string (linear force, tension) is 0.5m from the centre.
TSR360
Rep:
The string (linear force, tension) is 0.5m from the centre.
The string goes all the way to the pulley which is at the end of the ship. How can it stop at the capstan?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
The string goes all the way to the pulley which is at the end of the ship. How can it stop at the capstan?
You're doing the first part?
The cable tension is determined by the capstan. The sailors are pushing with a force 1200N at a perpendicular distance 1.5m. The tension T is at a distance 0.5m. Think of it is a lever where the ratio of the forces is the same as the (inverse) ratio of the distances because the same work is done.
TSR360
Rep:
You're doing the first part?
The cable tension is determined by the capstan. The sailors are pushing with a force 1200N at a perpendicular distance 1.5m. The tension T is at a distance 0.5m. Think of it is a lever where the ratio of the forces is the same as the (inverse) ratio of the distances because the same work is done.
I still don't understand why the anchor cable's tension is determined by the radius of the capstan. Trying to visualise it as a lever isn't helping either...
Last edited by TSR360; 1 year ago
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I still don't understand why the anchor cable's tension is determined by the radius of the capstan. Trying to visualise it as a lever isn't helping either...
Do you understand why a lever works (same work done)?
TSR360
Rep:
Do you understand why a lever works (same work done)?
Yes
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Well it's the same. The distance the force is applied over is the circumference of the circle, so proportional to the radius. The sailors apply 1/3 of the force, but do it over 3 times the distance. Or the string tension is 3 times the sailors force as it's applied over 1/3 the distance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.71%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (19)
16.96%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (27)
24.11%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.54%

Watched Threads