andie1111
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey guys, so I'm about to start my final NEA project for my product design a level, and it has come to point where i have to pick some context ideas. I'm really struggling to find anything that will be able to keep me engaged throughout my whole project. My teacher gave our class suggestions like helping the elderly, or sustainable living, but i want something more exciting and creative, but im really stressing out about finding an idea as i have a ton of other work and revision things to do. If you have any ideas please share them with me, im in desperate need of help!!(
Little-O
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by andie1111)
Hey guys, so I'm about to start my final NEA project for my product design a level, and it has come to point where i have to pick some context ideas. I'm really struggling to find anything that will be able to keep me engaged throughout my whole project. My teacher gave our class suggestions like helping the elderly, or sustainable living, but i want something more exciting and creative, but im really stressing out about finding an idea as i have a ton of other work and revision things to do. If you have any ideas please share them with me, im in desperate need of help!!(
I have just finished my NEA, and the best solution I would advise you to do would be finishing a client and assessing their needs and wants. From an ‘interview’ you can assess what context your could further research into.

When looking for a client try and pick someone who will be brutally honest when discussing the product - so try and steer away from family (unless they don’t mind slating your ideas....)

My initial context was: Addressing the gardening environment and adapting a product to improve the users experience - quite long and wordy, but after researching and doing initial ideas I started to shorten it and become more specific....

Hope this helps. 😄
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I would start with your interests, although you arent designing the product for yourself (as in you will need a client who isnt yourself to talk to) as you say you need to be motivated to do this for the entire year and picking an area that is boring to you wont inspire much interest.
Think about what you enjoy doing in your spare time, your hobbies or any other area you feel passionate about.
Draw a mindmap and have your hobbies/interests coming off it. Under each branch list some potential areas there are in this topic.
For example say you are really passionate about horse-riding your branch for it would look something like:

Horse-riding:
Feeding Horses
Tacking them up
Looking after riding equipment
Grooming
Riding
Mounting
Etc etc

The point of breaking an interest down like that is to split it into manageable chunks, a whole topic can be very broad and hard to design for.
Once you have your subcategories you need to get researching, at this point in time it can be through secondary research (e.g reading horse forums for discussion of problems equestrians have) or you can start primary research (talking to people face to face). You are looking for problems here, i.e problems the target market has in these areas. Once you have your problems you can start designing for it.
Your problems dont have to be super specific at this stage, you are loosely researching all of your identified areas so that when you add them to your mind map it is easy to choose which topic you are going to do. Generally the category with the most problems is the best bet to take forward and design for. You are choosing a category (i.e horse-riding) not an individual subcategory (i.e mounting) at this point because you will do design pages for each subcategory. The client will then help you choose which subcategory idea is the most promising.

Hope that helps, sorry if it didnt make total sense im a bit tired

(Original post by Little-O)

When looking for a client try and pick someone who will be brutally honest when discussing the product - so try and steer away from family (unless they don’t mind slating your ideas....)
So so true :adore: family and friends have a tendency to say what they think you want to hear, although it can be disheartening at the time you really want someone to rip into your designs (constructively) so you can make those changes now before it gets to the end and it's too late. Examiners love to see you making changes on the back of client feedback
andie1111
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
I would start with your interests, although you arent designing the product for yourself (as in you will need a client who isnt yourself to talk to) as you say you need to be motivated to do this for the entire year and picking an area that is boring to you wont inspire much interest.
Think about what you enjoy doing in your spare time, your hobbies or any other area you feel passionate about.
Draw a mindmap and have your hobbies/interests coming off it. Under each branch list some potential areas there are in this topic.
For example say you are really passionate about horse-riding your branch for it would look something like:

Horse-riding:
Feeding Horses
Tacking them up
Looking after riding equipment
Grooming
Riding
Mounting
Etc etc

The point of breaking an interest down like that is to split it into manageable chunks, a whole topic can be very broad and hard to design for.
Once you have your subcategories you need to get researching, at this point in time it can be through secondary research (e.g reading horse forums for discussion of problems equestrians have) or you can start primary research (talking to people face to face). You are looking for problems here, i.e problems the target market has in these areas. Once you have your problems you can start designing for it.
Your problems dont have to be super specific at this stage, you are loosely researching all of your identified areas so that when you add them to your mind map it is easy to choose which topic you are going to do. Generally the category with the most problems is the best bet to take forward and design for. You are choosing a category (i.e horse-riding) not an individual subcategory (i.e mounting) at this point because you will do design pages for each subcategory. The client will then help you choose which subcategory idea is the most promising.

Hope that helps, sorry if it didnt make total sense im a bit tired

So so true :adore: family and friends have a tendency to say what they think you want to hear, although it can be disheartening at the time you really want someone to rip into your designs (constructively) so you can make those changes now before it gets to the end and it's too late. Examiners love to see you making changes on the back of client feedback
Hey, thanks this really helped me with trying to find a context that I won’t get bored of. Will definitely use this to help me pick some ideas!!
andie1111
Rep:
?
(Original post by Little-O)
I have just finished my NEA, and the best solution I would advise you to do would be finishing a client and assessing their needs and wants. From an ‘interview’ you can assess what context your could further research into.

My initial context was: Addressing the gardening environment and adapting a product to improve the users experience - quite long and wordy, but after researching and doing initial ideas I started to shorten it and become more specific....

Hope this helps. 😄
Hiya, yes I will try to find a client that is brutally honest, I think this would definitely be beneficial for me when picking a context and also throughout my NEA with development, thanks for the help!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (541)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (411)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (509)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
6%
Loneliness (312)
8.44%
Financial worries (136)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (167)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (330)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (346)
9.36%

Watched Threads