The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Switching degree course

Does anyone know how flexible UCL are at changing degree courses, I've looked at the website and that says that they are possible but I wanted to see if anyone knows how it works practically. As in how likely are they to actually let me switch if i request do so within the time frame (first month or so) Would want to switch from chem with maths to data science (Bsc)
you should talk to your personal tutor and the programme leader at your course as soon as possible once you start the term and try to explain why you want to make the change
I don't think UCL is that flexible, but I know cases when people are allowed to change
it's worth asking though
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
If you’re sure you want to change, just ask now. It’ll be a straight yes/no answer.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to swap once enrolled, partly as the course may be full to capacity at that stage.
Reply 3
Original post by Admit-One
If you’re sure you want to change, just ask now. It’ll be a straight yes/no answer.

There’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to swap once enrolled, partly as the course may be full to capacity at that stage.

will that potentially jeopardise my current offer?
Original post by Anonymous

No. There is no harm in asking.

Whether it will be acceptable depends on whether you meet the entry criteria for the new course, and the policies and perspectives of the receiving department. If it's within the same department that has already accepted you, that is potentially more likely than a separate department entirely. Also it is unlikely you will be considered if you are trying to swap into a very competitive and popular course (e.g. law, economics) and certain courses probably won't consider such requests due to the requirements for admission involving additional steps such as interviews or checks (e.g. medicine, and perhaps pharmacy or education courses).

No, as above, if it’s not possible they’ll just tell you so and you’ll still have your existing offer.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
No. There is no harm in asking.

Whether it will be acceptable depends on whether you meet the entry criteria for the new course, and the policies and perspectives of the receiving department. If it's within the same department that has already accepted you, that is potentially more likely than a separate department entirely. Also it is unlikely you will be considered if you are trying to swap into a very competitive and popular course (e.g. law, economics) and certain courses probably won't consider such requests due to the requirements for admission involving additional steps such as interviews or checks (e.g. medicine, and perhaps pharmacy or education courses).

No, as above, if it’s not possible they’ll just tell you so and you’ll still have your existing offer.

Thanks for the replies, for reference I applied through UCAS extra and so had to re-do a different personal statement related to chemistry and maths so I was a bit scared they may question my desire to study this and may view me wanting to switch as proof I'm not committed to the course. I have A*A*A*a* predictions and 99999999887 gcses. current course is AAA with an A in chem and maths and the data sci one is A*AA with an A* in maths. Should I try my luck to apply for the switch once I'm actually in having achieved the grades i need for it or more or switch now and have my grade requirements increased and potentially making it more risky as to whether or not I get in. It worries me that I could end up achieving A*A*A and then not have a place in uni since it wasn't in maths.
Thanks for the replies, for reference I applied through UCAS extra and so had to re-do a different personal statement related to chemistry and maths so I was a bit scared they may question my desire to study this and may view me wanting to switch as proof I'm not committed to the course. I have A*A*A*a* predictions and 99999999887 gcses. current course is AAA with an A in chem and maths and the data sci one is A*AA with an A* in maths. Should I try my luck to apply for the switch once I'm actually in having achieved the grades i need for it or more or switch now and have my grade requirements increased and potentially making it more risky as to whether or not I get in. It worries me that I could end up achieving A*A*A and then not have a place in uni since it wasn't in maths.

Impossible to answer really as it depends on your appetite for the original course. If you leave it until results time, you increase the chances that they’ll be no places available or they just won’t be willing to consider a swap. If you’d still be happy enrolling and completing the original course then it might make sense to wait, but otherwise you’ve nothing to lose by asking ASAP and maximising your chances of getting on the course you actually want to be on.
Reply 8
Impossible to answer really as it depends on your appetite for the original course. If you leave it until results time, you increase the chances that they’ll be no places available or they just won’t be willing to consider a swap. If you’d still be happy enrolling and completing the original course then it might make sense to wait, but otherwise you’ve nothing to lose by asking ASAP and maximising your chances of getting on the course you actually want to be on.

I am happy with the degree I'm currently on to be fair; I think I'll ask my maths teacher tomorrow what he thinks. My maths grade has been all A*s recently minus one dodgy test which I think they wrote off. My school is only doing 1 mock per subject to feed into the current grades and for maths that paper is going to be pure + mechanics. They made us do a separate statistics test last term to assess on that since it won't be on the mock, they've said they aren't going to release the marks or grades but it may make sense for me to speak to my maths teacher and as what he thinks in terms of me safely securing an A* on the basis of that test and my previous performance. I understand that had I applied to this course anyway I'd have those requirements set out from the get go but I'm in a bit of a unique situation now where I don't have a firm and already have a safe option of an AAA course so I would have thought I'd be able to get some advice from teachers since I'd actively be increasing the risk level of me going to uni or not this year.
Also: ideally I'd study both chemistry and data science/maths at some point at university, despite wanting to go into quant finance i'm interested in those subjects. If ucl ask me why i want to switch would this reasoning make sense: Its harder/not possible to do a masters in data science with a chemistry with maths undergraduate degree but it is possible to study Applied Analytical Chemistry MSc with an undergraduate degree in data science. (?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending