Edinburgh, Exeter or Durham uni

Watch this thread
Lcherry123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi I was just wondering if anyone had advice on which uni I should firm as I really can't decide - the subject is BA Geography btw. If any current students or other applicants in similar positions have opinions/experiences I'd love to hear
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Depends what you’re looking for. All are great in national rankings but Edinburgh has a much stronger global reputation and I would say is considered the more prestigious put of the three by a considerable distance. It’s also targeted more by the big firms in recruitment and a better place to live and study. Exeter and Durham simply don’t have the history or even recent reputation to compete no Nobel Laureates etc.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Exeter and Durham borrow too much on this stupid Oxbridge rejects university thing and it shows. Durham is massively overrated and even buys into its own hype with its collegiate system that doesn’t even hold a candle to Oxbridge. Exeter I give more credibility to as it’s probably the best in its region alongside Bristol.
Lcherry123
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Depends what you’re looking for. All are great in national rankings but Edinburgh has a much stronger global reputation and I would say is considered the more prestigious put of the three by a considerable distance. It’s also targeted more by the big firms in recruitment and a better place to live and study. Exeter and Durham simply don’t have the history or even recent reputation to compete no Nobel Laureates etc.
Interesting- is there a reason why Edinburgh is more sought after then? As the grades required are lower than Durham and pretty similar to Exeter, if not less. Between Exeter and Durham which would you say is seen of as better and which would be better for a good uni experience? Are the people at both similar?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lcherry123)
Interesting- is there a reason why Edinburgh is more sought after then? As the grades required are lower than Durham and pretty similar to Exeter, if not less. Between Exeter and Durham which would you say is seen of as better and which would be better for a good uni experience? Are the people at both similar?
Higher entry grades doesn’t always mean a better course or university but it’s not like Exeter or Durham are terrible. As a city no doubt Edinburgh has a better night life and overall experience. Exeter is nice but on the small side and lacks diversity in terms of eating out etc. I don’t know much about Durham in terms of student life. But Edinburgh would give a better overall experience imho both as a university, a city and future prospects and networking.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Hi I was just wondering if anyone had advice on which uni I should firm as I really can't decide - the subject is BA Geography btw. If any current students or other applicants in similar positions have opinions/experiences I'd love to hear
All are good universities so any will give you a good degree experience. Edinburgh is better known globally and a larger more vibrant city. Durham and Exeter are smaller cities and have a rep for taking Oxbridge rejects and not being very ethnically diverse. I personally prefer Durham to Exeter as the college ststem is much more welcoming than halls and though its a small city you have Newcastle 15 mins away by train for more shopping and nightlife. Look at the course modules at each Uni and make your decision with this in mind. On THE rankings for geography in UK Edinburgh is 5th and Durham 16th and Exeter is 22nd
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
All are good universities so any will give you a good degree experience. Edinburgh is better known globally and a larger more vibrant city. Durham and Exeter are smaller cities and have a rep for taking Oxbridge rejects and not being very ethnically diverse. I personally prefer Durham to Exeter as the college ststem is much more welcoming than halls and though its a small city you have Newcastle 15 mins away by train for more shopping and nightlife. Look at the course modules at each Uni and make your decision with this in mind. On THE rankings for geography in UK Edinburgh is 5th and Durham 16th and Exeter is 22nd
Feels like deja-vu
Durham University
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, great to hear you are considering studying Geography at Durham! The best way to figure out if a University is a good fit for you is to attend open days and ask lots of questions. Our next virtual open day is on 19th June and you can find more information here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/preapp/

The Geography department at Durham is world leading (ranked 2nd nationally in the Times Good University Guide 2021 and 12th globally in the QS World University rankings). You can find out more about the course here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/departments...raduate-study/

We also have a student blog site where current and past students share their experiences which should give you an insight into what life is like at Durham. A few blogs you may be particularly interested in are:
https://sites.durham.ac.uk/studentbl...p-to-portugal/
https://sites.durham.ac.uk/studentbl...phy-fieldtrip/
https://sites.durham.ac.uk/studentbl...raphy-student/

You can also find a lot of articles on the blog site about college life and more general info about student life at Durham.

Geography is a great subject choice and our graduates go on to successful graduate careers in a range of industries. We hope you can join us at the next open day to find out more and see if you think Durham might be a good fit for you!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Between Exeter and Durham which would you say is seen of as better and which would be better for a good uni experience? Are the people at both similar?
Durham is seen as more prestigious than Exeter if that is what you mean by "better".

They are both small cities so the nightlife not as varied as in bigger cities and are also less culturally diverse than larger cities. There will be a mix of people as at any uni although a higher percentage of white middle class than most and they attract a lot of students who went to private schools. However, there are still plenty of state school students who go there and people from all sorts of backgrounds.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Honestly you'd be silly to overlook a globally renowned university like Edinburgh for small fry like Durham and Exeter.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Honestly you'd be silly to overlook a globally renowned university like Edinburgh for small fry like Durham and Exeter.
Yeah but is it that much better? Like what would the differential in prospects after be and if it was rlly much better wouldn't it be harder to get in to?
SunisOut
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi
My daughter has the same thoughts and can’t decide. But it’s between King’s College and Durham. Why would someone go to Durham when King’s is more renowned also offering lower grades. They are all similar, once you are rejected from Oxbridge the rejects could be anywhere despite people saying Durham is 3rd. Grades offered are higher because they are accepting less than Edinburgh which has much more intake. I know it sounds cliche, if you are clever enough to get into university you will do well whichever one you go to! Sometimes it’s down to pure luck of the draw. Not wanting to dis anybody, in our school students with low grades got in to Oxbridge and students with high predicted grades got rejected from Durham. There is no longer any logic anymore this year. Just go with your heart so you will have no regrets.

I think you really need to look at the course they offer, go on the virtual subject days and see how you feel about the lecturers. It’s the next 3/4 years you will only be there, not a lifetime.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
It's going to come down to what colour your chinos are:

Pink - Edinburgh
Red - Exeter
Burgundy - Durham

Also your gilet:

Schoffel - Edinburgh
Barbour - Exeter
Baleno - Durham
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Yeah but is it that much better? Like what would the differential in prospects after be and if it was rlly much better wouldn't it be harder to get in to?
Difficulty doesn't necessarily mean more prestigious. Durham is potentially more popular for a variety of reasons, namely that it offers a pseudo-Oxbridge environment for those not good enough to get into Oxford or Cambridge. Globally in every major ranking Edinburgh is ranked very highly whereas Durham barely makes the top 100. That is not to say going to Durham or Exeter would diminish your employment prospects, absolutely not at all.

But if you really wanted to attend a university with an outstanding reputation both home and abroad and with excellent networking opportunities across many sectors, Edinburgh undoubtedly should be a first choice.
ajl19
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
This is my dilemma too I am stuck between Exeter and Durham for BA geography! Have you made your decision yet?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ajl19)
This is my dilemma too I am stuck between Exeter and Durham for BA geography! Have you made your decision yet?
Nope still undecided!
Durham University
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
If there's any information you'd like to know about Durham, the collegiate system or the course specifically in order to help you make your decision do let us know . As above, the best way to figure out if a University is right for you is to attend an open day and ask lots of questions. Our next virtual open day is on 19th June and you can find more information here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/preapp/
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Durham University)
If there's any information you'd like to know about Durham, the collegiate system or the course specifically in order to help you make your decision do let us know . As above, the best way to figure out if a University is right for you is to attend an open day and ask lots of questions. Our next virtual open day is on 19th June and you can find more information here: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/preapp/
Hi, do you know if the colleges are planning on offering in person tours?I have been invited to tour the uni, but not the college which is more important to me really. Thanks
Durham University
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, do you know if the colleges are planning on offering in person tours?I have been invited to tour the uni, but not the college which is more important to me really. Thanks
Our brand new app 'Durham University Tours' is available to download in the Apple App Store and the Google Play Store now. It offers you the opportunity to take virtual tours of the city from the comfort of your own home. We have created two tours, the first being a 'General Tour' showing all of the main University buildings and Department buildings and the second being a 'Colleges Tour' showing you the 16 colleges you could be allocated to as an undergraduate student. Both tours have audio descriptions, images and videos, including walking route videos showing the way that you would walk between stops, helping you to feel as if you are here with us in Durham!

You can also view a video college tour here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYN8ufqyFa4

See here for a full run down of virtual tours: https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit...y/virtualtour/

We hope full campus and college tours will be able to resume shortly so this may change soon so depending on when you plan to visit Durham it may be possible to arrange a tour in person, when are you planning to visit?
Last edited by Durham University; 1 year ago
XanaXoid
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, you should check some tours on YT to have better understanding of the college, most of them has room tours and a general tour. If you have been allocated to St Chads just PM me that I have quite a lot of pictures
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (54)
69.23%
In the post (3)
3.85%
Text (10)
12.82%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (11)
14.1%

Watched Threads