Do you tell people your goals?

Watch
Studio#0048
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do you tell family and/or friends? If not, why? Have you always been like this or did you pick it up?
Bexjw
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends what the goals are and how close I am to the people. A lot of my closer family and friends know that I have a longterm goal and support me with it. People who I do not know very well, don't know. I don't tell everyone all of my goals but I like to have some support as I'm attempting to make them happen.
nickofernandes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, I don't like to brag, often success causes envy in other people, as they say, happiness loves silence.
Studio#0048
Rep:
?
I've done some research and apparently if you tell people your goals some part of your brain thinks you have kind of achieved it in a weird way and then you are less motivated to actually do the work to reach the goal.
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, because I don't see the point.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Very rarely.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Studio#0048)
Do you tell family and/or friends? If not, why? Have you always been like this or did you pick it up?
Not always, but it's good to have a goal. I have some, but they are secret.
Studio#0048
Rep:
?
(Original post by V℮rsions)
No, because I don't see the point.
Idk where you are in your life, but if you're in uni and your mates ask you what are you planning to do as a career what did you say?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Normally, telling someone your goals can be ambitious to them so the normal conversations to a high-end goal will be the person trying to support/ be happy that you’re wishing highly of yourself, which all can be just fake because of how high-end it is so it can be seen as a fairly generic reaction. Because of this, I water it down to not sound too full of myself but at the same time know that they really don’t care about me but more of the idea of that goal. Especially if both people have completely different goals, in situations such as these i tend to keep the goal fairly normal/generic just as how their reaction would be. I know support is nice but telling someone more than what they need to know defeats the inner-grind for me, I don’t really want the support or views from anyone so it makes sense not to fully go out of my way to tell them.
tinygirl96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm more the type to work hard in silent.
I only tell those who actually care and would give me good advice- my parents.

Daily goals like "i need to clean my room"- idc who i tell.
Last edited by HumbleBee_x; 1 week ago
cakes are nice9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my other family memebers are snobs so I don't tell them anything
username4262886
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No too many people think they know better and I just prefer not to argue/clash with them about it.
HumbleBee_x
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alabama 3)
ban the burqa!!!
ok
Marvel_fan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t normally since I’m scared of failure. I feel like if I tell someone my goal and then I’m unsuccessful I’m more disappointed in myself than if I told no one. Saying that, I guess I would be more determined if I did share.
naeology
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I never used to, usually because of a fear of judgement. I have very critical parents so I never stood a chance really. Trying to not care so much these days though :/
Skymoose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don't tell people about my goals because it's none of their business usually. I only tell people about my goals in the context of trying to achieve them. For example, talking to tutors about career goals and asking if the university will be a good step etc.

My brother who I'm very close with only found out I got into university last week when he asked me if I can help him with some electrical work he needs doing about November time.
Arthur_Morgan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Nope
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Of course I do, goals don't score themselves and I'm a top class striker
StarLegend
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I've done some research and apparently if you tell people your goals some part of your brain thinks you have kind of achieved it in a weird way and then you are less motivated to actually do the work to reach the goal.
I have seen the same thing and it is part of why I try to keep as quiet as possible about my goals. Besides, a lot of people are really negative and all the doubt starts to impact your progress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (93)
42.47%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (38)
17.35%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (84)
38.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (4)
1.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise