lucky 123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi any else applied/applying for the MSc in crime and forensic science at Ucl struggling with writing a personal statement so was wondering if any one had any tips?
Last edited by lucky 123; 1 week ago
pineapplemango
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I personally havent, but I did my undergrad in that field so I do know a thing or two, and I also applied in a similar field for MSc and got accepted.

It seems like the most important things to include to really wow them is the following

- What qualifies you to do well in this programme?
Example: Through my classes in so and so I have obtained excellent knowledge in regards to understanding crime and its impact on society, and it really changed my mindset. It opened my eyes to not only all the various aspects of crime, but also to crime prevention, and all the different elements one must understand in order to fully understand crime and its consequences.
Explained: It shows that you paid attention in your classes and that you actually absorbed the information. It also gives them the impression that you will be engaged in future classes, and that you really benefit from them, and can therefore contribute. You can also mention similar experience you have gained through work, internships, etc.

- What do you plan on doing with your degree?
Example: My ideal goal is to be able to make an impact in reducing and fighting crime through forensic methods. I am looking to gain valuable knowledge that will qualify me for such a position, as it really is my dream to make a difference, and for me the best way to do that is by utilizing my skills and following my dream of becoming a forensic scientist/criminologist/etc.
Explained: It shows that you are looking to take the courses because you are very motivated and have a plan, rather than just because you think it sounds interesting. Determination is always good.

- Why this particular university?
Example: I believe there is no better place for me to study Crime and Forensic Science than at UCL. It is truly my dream school, and it has been for years. Your excellent academic reputation and devotion to educating your students to become the very best in their field has always intrigued me, and I really hope to be part of your 2021/22 class.
Explained: Again, determination. It shows them that you are not just choosing a university at random, but that this is really THE university for you.

Also, you can include personal experiences that made you want to study this. For example, when I applied to a masters program in International Security I mentioned how a terrorist attack in my country had really impacted me and caused me to develop an interest in international security and how it can be strengthened. This further applies to why the program is right for YOU, rather than just something that seems to interest you at the moment. These personal experiences can be anything, just dont mention stuff like "I watched CSI as a kid and thought it looked cool" haha. Maybe a crime event in your area really impacted you or caught your interest? A social justice issue that led you to develop an interest? Someone in your family is in a similar field and you have always observed and admired their work? Just some examples.

Again, I dont know anything about why you want to study Crime and Forensic Science or what your qualifications are so I just mentioned random things that might be relevant. I formatted all my personal statements like this, and got accepted to all the five universities I applied to I hope this is a bit helpful! Best of luck!
lucky 123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by theaemii)
I personally havent, but I did my undergrad in that field so I do know a thing or two, and I also applied in a similar field for MSc and got accepted.

It seems like the most important things to include to really wow them is the following

- What qualifies you to do well in this programme?
Example: Through my classes in so and so I have obtained excellent knowledge in regards to understanding crime and its impact on society, and it really changed my mindset. It opened my eyes to not only all the various aspects of crime, but also to crime prevention, and all the different elements one must understand in order to fully understand crime and its consequences.
Explained: It shows that you paid attention in your classes and that you actually absorbed the information. It also gives them the impression that you will be engaged in future classes, and that you really benefit from them, and can therefore contribute. You can also mention similar experience you have gained through work, internships, etc.

- What do you plan on doing with your degree?
Example: My ideal goal is to be able to make an impact in reducing and fighting crime through forensic methods. I am looking to gain valuable knowledge that will qualify me for such a position, as it really is my dream to make a difference, and for me the best way to do that is by utilizing my skills and following my dream of becoming a forensic scientist/criminologist/etc.
Explained: It shows that you are looking to take the courses because you are very motivated and have a plan, rather than just because you think it sounds interesting. Determination is always good.

- Why this particular university?
Example: I believe there is no better place for me to study Crime and Forensic Science than at UCL. It is truly my dream school, and it has been for years. Your excellent academic reputation and devotion to educating your students to become the very best in their field has always intrigued me, and I really hope to be part of your 2021/22 class.
Explained: Again, determination. It shows them that you are not just choosing a university at random, but that this is really THE university for you.

Also, you can include personal experiences that made you want to study this. For example, when I applied to a masters program in International Security I mentioned how a terrorist attack in my country had really impacted me and caused me to develop an interest in international security and how it can be strengthened. This further applies to why the program is right for YOU, rather than just something that seems to interest you at the moment. These personal experiences can be anything, just dont mention stuff like "I watched CSI as a kid and thought it looked cool" haha. Maybe a crime event in your area really impacted you or caught your interest? A social justice issue that led you to develop an interest? Someone in your family is in a similar field and you have always observed and admired their work? Just some examples.

Again, I dont know anything about why you want to study Crime and Forensic Science or what your qualifications are so I just mentioned random things that might be relevant. I formatted all my personal statements like this, and got accepted to all the five universities I applied to I hope this is a bit helpful! Best of luck!
Thank you so much! Very helpful
pineapplemango
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lucky 123)
Thank you so much! Very helpful
You are very welcome! Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.53%
Virtual accommodation tour (53)
14.44%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.63%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.09%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3%
Taster lectures or seminars (79)
21.53%
Speak to current students studying my course (84)
22.89%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.36%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.54%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.18%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads