The Student Room Group

Is it possible to self-study A level Maths in 3 months?

So right now, I take 2 A-Levels and 1 BTEC, those being CS, French, and Journalism. I want to self study maths to aid me in my computer science studies and for the challenge. With past papers and everything, is it possible to learn the entire spec in 2-3 months?
Yes, anything is possible. But you are gonna have to do A LOT of work. Pure. Statistics. Mechanics. Just be prepared if you decide to do it. Also, I think it might be a huge distraction from your other A Levels. Just make sure you are 100% committed.

Good luck!
Original post by KraneOren
So right now, I take 2 A-Levels and 1 BTEC, those being CS, French, and Journalism. I want to self study maths to aid me in my computer science studies and for the challenge. With past papers and everything, is it possible to learn the entire spec in 2-3 months?

I'm currently looking at my modules for A Level maths with my online college. I have 8 modules, where each one require you to spend 45 hours of study.
I work on a 60 hour week, so 45 hours per week is doable for me. If that's the case, you can cover 8 modules in 8 weeks, or roughly 2 months. (I'm almost done with mine and I started in November).

It's not advised to do the A Level that intensively, but if you are you're doing a lot of work. If you're currently taking 2 A Levels and 1 BTEC on top, I don't think it's sustainable. You also don't know whether you will be proficient enough for the exams or assignments within that time scale.

If you intend to study computer science at uni, a number of universities are asking for maths A Level as a subject requirement.

If I was you, I'd do it as a sole A Level next year, especially when French and Journalism don't exactly complement Maths particularly well. You will technically need to think very differently in maths than you do with the descriptive subjects. Maths will also be marked very differently to how you're marked in French and Journalism. I am not sure about Computer Science, since I never took it.
Reply 3
Original post by MindMax2000
I'm currently looking at my modules for A Level maths with my online college. I have 8 modules, where each one require you to spend 45 hours of study.
I work on a 60 hour week, so 45 hours per week is doable for me. If that's the case, you can cover 8 modules in 8 weeks, or roughly 2 months. (I'm almost done with mine and I started in November).

It's not advised to do the A Level that intensively, but if you are you're doing a lot of work. If you're currently taking 2 A Levels and 1 BTEC on top, I don't think it's sustainable. You also don't know whether you will be proficient enough for the exams or assignments within that time scale.

If you intend to study computer science at uni, a number of universities are asking for maths A Level as a subject requirement.

If I was you, I'd do it as a sole A Level next year, especially when French and Journalism don't exactly complement Maths particularly well. You will technically need to think very differently in maths than you do with the descriptive subjects. Maths will also be marked very differently to how you're marked in French and Journalism. I am not sure about Computer Science, since I never took it.

Thank you for your response. If I could devote time to maths, I'd say I could do 14 hours of total revision for maths a week. My minimal aim is to do 42 hours of total revision a week for all 3 subjects, meaning at minimum, 14 hours for maths. Regarding taking computer science at Uni, I've found a few courses where maths isn't generally required, but I am considering doing maths as an A-Level next year if my sixth form allows it
I'm afraid but it is not feasible to learn the whole A level maths syllabus plus do the past papers in just 3 months, unless you're doing it for fun. In addition a serious CS course will definitely require you to be good at maths. The course will explore the content you've learnt in the A level in real depth, ( there is no doubt about that!).
Reply 5
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
I'm afraid but it is not feasible to learn the whole A level maths syllabus plus do the past papers in just 3 months, unless you're doing it for fun. In addition a serious CS course will definitely require you to be good at maths. The course will explore the content you've learnt in the A level in real depth, ( there is no doubt about that!).

I am mostly doing it for fun to be honest with you. Rather, it is mostly to aid me in my studies for computer science. I should also change my goal to 5 months if I am being honest...
Look honestly, people may tell you no, but its 1000% possible. The single maths course is actually rather easy compared to FM, and most FM candidates in top sets in our school finish the single maths syllabus in the first term of Y12. Mechanics is basically a test of whether you can draw an accurate diagram and work from it. Stats is rather short, and half of the topics overlap and could be learnt in a week if needed, and the only hard areas are hypothesis testing and maybe binomial+combinatorics if you struggle. Pure is the real test through, if you understand the different integration and differentiation techniques and where they apply you are good to go. You may not complete all the past papers, but 2018 onwards you can do. It partly depends on your innate ability to grasp maths concepts, since you don't have much time. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by whydoidothisffs
Look honestly, people may tell you no, but its 1000% possible. The single maths course is actually rather easy compared to FM, and most FM candidates in top sets in our school finish the single maths syllabus in the first term of Y12. Mechanics is basically a test of whether you can draw an accurate diagram and work from it. Stats is rather short, and half of the topics overlap and could be learnt in a week if needed, and the only hard areas are hypothesis testing and maybe binomial+combinatorics if you struggle. Pure is the real test through, if you understand the different integration and differentiation techniques and where they apply you are good to go. You may not complete all the past papers, but 2018 onwards you can do. It partly depends on your innate ability to grasp maths concepts, since you don't have much time. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for the response. I've recently started pure mathematics, and it's honestly quite easy to grasp a lot of concepts.
Thank you for the response. I've recently started pure mathematics, and it's honestly quite easy to grasp a lot of concepts.

hey how did you do!
Reply 9
Original post by estella135
hey how did you do!

Oh hey! Sorry for the late reply. I've successfully completed my goal and I have not only learnt the contents of A-Level Mathematics during this time, but also A-Level Physics.
Oh hey! Sorry for the late reply. I've successfully completed my goal and I have not only learnt the contents of A-Level Mathematics during this time, but also A-Level Physics.

You fully learnt A level maths and physics in 3 months? How long did you study per day?

wtffff thats so good! well done!!! plz could u help me decide how much time i should revise each week/day xx just generally how much time a week do u think i should spend on 1 alevel subject and how much time a week do u think i should spend on 1 gcse subject bc im gonna resit my gcse maths first to get a higher grade then im gonna do alevel maths next year tysm

Quick Reply

Latest