The Student Room Group

Men are funnier than women. Discuss?

There are plenty of funny women, I agree, but men are overwhelmingly funnier.

Scroll to see replies

Anecdotally I would definitely not say overwhelmingly or even at all tbh.
Original post by Anonymous

Agreed. It may have something to do with us maturing later than women, but an extremely funny woman is rare
Who exactly do you agree with?

I think this is extremely sexist, women can be just a funny as men (and vice versa) and there is no statistic which rates 'funniness to prove your stupid accusation
(edited 2 years ago)
I don’t know how to respond to this because I’ve not met every single man & woman in this world to make a conclusion of this fact.

Even on the basis of averages, not enough to say. Therefore, which ever you think is funnier must be down to your own personal views...

I'm actually inclined to agree on a general basis. I know more men I'd consider funny than women, both in my personal experience and on TV. However I definitely don't think women just aren't funny, and I also know many men who I don't find funny at all. My theory is that men care a little less about offending people and more about getting a laugh.
Reply 6
Original post by Jonathanツ
Who exactly do you agree with?

I think this is extremely sexist, women can be just a funny as men (and vice versa) and there is no statistic which rates 'funniness to prove your stupid accusation

Oh dear, I knew someone would call this 'sexist'.

I mean, most mainstream comedians, for instance are men. Like I said, there are plenty of funny female comedians, but nowhere near as many.

There are your statistics.

And how on Earth am I accusing anyone????
I think you'll appreciate this satire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKZg8mA8dg
Reply 8
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I don’t know how to respond to this because I’ve not met every single man & woman in this world to make a conclusion of this fact.

Even on the basis of averages, not enough to say. Therefore, which ever you think is funnier must be down to your own personal views...

Look at it this way, are there more mainstream male comedians, or females?
Oh dear, I knew someone would call this 'sexist'.

I mean, most mainstream comedians, for instance are men. Like I said, there are plenty of funny female comedians, but nowhere near as many.

There are your statistics.

And how on Earth am I accusing anyone????

You don't need to be a comedian to be funny

In order to analyze which gender on average is most funny would be almost impossible im guessing
Men are not more funnier than woman, women are not more funnier than men. We all have the capability of being funny, despite which gender we are.
Look at it this way, are there more mainstream male comedians, or females?

Mainstream or not, gender is gender..
Reply 12
tbh i kinda agree.
i can think of so many more decent male comedy actors..
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Mainstream or not, gender is gender..

This isn't about gender, this is about men and women - their humour has always been different. Some people need to get over that.
Reply 14
There was a thread about this just the other day...
I'm pretty funny thoughh
Original post by Ciel.
tbh i kinda agree.
i can think of so many more decent male comedy actors..

There shouldn't be an issue with this. Men and women are different in some aspects, and it isn't 'sexism' to point it out.
I would say guys have a different humour
This isn't about gender, this is about men and women - their humour has always been different. Some people need to get over that.

It’s not about gender? What’s it about then? Sheeps?

Cows? Dihybrid crosses? NMR spectroscopy? Genetic engineering? What is it about then?

i agree with this tbh ive only met very few funny women in my life

Quick Reply

Latest