Is anyone not getting the vaccine?

Watch
Hellllpppp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by V℮rsions)
New sure, but the Covid vaccines haven't had the proper testing in comparison to other modern medicines. And the media refuse to combat the issue, instead they're on what appears to be this collusion that lockdown = good always, mask = good always and vaccine = good always. Ridiculous.
How long do you want the vaccine to be in testing for? The Astra Zeneca trial began in February so it’s been over a year of testing now. They say COVID is going to be like flu so if it’s still around in 2 or even 5 years would you consider getting it then?

Also the media is definitely not lockdown always good or vaccine always good and most reporting is done without masks soo
Thedentalone
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pathway)
Yep. Can only speak for myself, but some of my care has been interrupted because of this, not as much as some other people, but enough to have significant negative effects. Granted I'm still having appointments over the phone/video, and go in in person when it's deemed urgent, but my health is still deteriorating unfortunately.

Such massive interruptions in general and this will continue until enough of the population is vaccinated.

If you ever need to chat or vent, feel free to send me a message. Stress must be quite high for you at times, so if I can help I'm all ears! :hugs: Will stop derailing the thread now with our chat!!
I completely understand the struggle.

Yes I’ll stop having a moan about it on this thread now.🙈

That’s so kind of you to say, same to you too, if you ever want to talk, feel free to say anything to me xx
Anonymous #7
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
How long do you want the vaccine to be in testing for? The Astra Zeneca trial began in February so it’s been over a year of testing now. They say COVID is going to be like flu so if it’s still around in 2 or even 5 years would you consider getting it then?

Also the media is definitely not lockdown always good or vaccine always good and most reporting is done without masks soo
Just to throw my 2 pence in.
I might be wrong but I was told once that it takes around 10 years for a new medication to go from concept through development and finishes with human trials. I have not been told by the government or the scientist (who I have enormous respect for as at one point I wanted to be a toxicologist) how this process has been speeded up 10x.
Medical professionals are still unsure about “long Covid” how are they so sure about their vaccines. There has been a number of cases over the years of medicine and medical devices been given to people when they are not ready or not tested properly with disastrous effects. Was it not a few years ago there was a big lawsuit about medical mesh and Thalidomide that caused birth defects in the 60s.
I don’t think it is unreasonable for some people to be wary of inject a substance that has had a 1/10 the proper testing that a new paracetamol has to go.
Some people will argue that the amount of rubbish we put in our bodies willingly each and every day and we balk at this but I say big pharmaceutical and government have a track record of lying to the general public and I for one won’t be taking any vaccine if I have a choice.

Ask me again in 5-10 years I might have a different answer
JamesKing007
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I might be wrong but I was told once that it takes around 10 years for a new medication to go from concept through development and finishes with human trials. I have not been told by the government or the scientist (who I have enormous respect for as at one point I wanted to be a toxicologist) how this process has been speeded up 10x.
Medical professionals are still unsure about “long Covid” how are they so sure about their vaccines. There has been a number of cases over the years of medicine and medical devices been given to people when they are not ready or not tested properly with disastrous effects. Was it not a few years ago there was a big lawsuit about medical mesh and Thalidomide that caused birth defects in the 60s.
I don’t think it is unreasonable for some people to be wary of inject a substance that has had a 1/10 the proper testing that a new paracetamol has to go.
Some people will argue that the amount of rubbish we put in our bodies willingly each and every day and we balk at this but I say big pharmaceutical and government have a track record of lying to the general public and I for one won’t be taking any vaccine if I have a choice.

the majority of ur answer can be settled by the mere fact that 1-10 year is with normal funding, not the astronomical funding covid has received
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

1)The clinical trials for COVID vaccines were much larger because as the other user said there was significantly more funding. The funding for long COVID trials in minuscule in comparison hence why not much progress has been made understanding it.

2) They weren’t starting from scratch. I know with the Astra Zeneca one they were already developing it for use with MERS (a different type of coronavirus) so it wasn’t a completely new concept. The mRNA vaccines are new but research has been going into them for 10 + years. mRNA vaccines have been studied before for flu and Zika (and probably other viruses too).

3) I’ve never heard about the medical mesh thing but thats different from vaccines as they remain in your body for a long time being worn down and the long term effects are often not discovered until too late. A vaccine on the other hand programs your immune system then stops having an effect. Things have change since the 60s and 70s because of how horrific the effects of thalidomide were. The most notable change is that drugs intended for human use could no longer be approved purely on the basis of animal testing. It also meant that drug trials for substances marketed to pregnant women also had to provide evidence that they were safe for use in pregnancy this is why, in the UK at least, pregnant women are told not to get the vaccine in normal circumstances - not because it’s unsafe but because there is not sufficient evidence it is safe.
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 1 week ago
Anonymous #8
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by username5703502)
side effects scare her.
More than death by Covid?
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This has been addressed a number of times from many different sources, but we can do it once more if you wish.

The idea that 1 year testing = 10% of 10 year testing is just extremely simple thinking. In reality, that 10 years is full of lab work, computer models, administrative delays, months of ethics committee approvals, months of data analysis, months of strategy meetings and funding delays. Cut all that out and you're left with a vastly shorter period.

You've then got to factor that all the vaccines approved so far had a major head start as they were being developed already. The Oxford one has had iterations for malaria and MERS run in trials for years now, among others. So all of the lab proof was essentially done already.

And then the bottom line: who even cares about all that anyway. Its been given to >20,000 people in a clinical trial setting. So no matter what went before that, even if this were the 60s and they'd done no testing whatsoever - if its dangerous it will become apparent when you inject into thousands of people. But they were fine. Its safe over a period of at the time 6 months, now closing on 12 months. And very very few side effects have ever taken longer than 12 months to become apparent in anyone. The ones that do take that long, are more likely to be secondary to a virus than a vaccine.

Medical professionals are still unsure about “long Covid” how are they so sure about their vaccines.
I don't think anyone claims to be 100% sure about anything. But from the extensive testing before the vaccines were approved and literally hundreds of millions of cases since, we know that the only side effect apparent so far is a 1 in 500,000 risk of blood clots with one vaccine. W

Whereas from the millions of covid cases we've seen, many tens and hundreds of thousands have had horrible immune-related and clotting-related effects including kidney damage and lung scarring, and some even young fit people seem to get very long lasting, sometimes severe effects.

Its just what's been observed so far.

There has been a number of cases over the years of medicine and medical devices been given to people when they are not ready or not tested properly with disastrous effects. Was it not a few years ago there was a big lawsuit about medical mesh and Thalidomide that caused birth defects in the 60s.
Given just how many drugs have been developed and how amazingly successful medical science and big pharma have been, there's been very few cases of "disastrous effects" actually. Thalidomide was released with literally no testing - it wasn't required at the time. That is why things are so different now.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nexttime)
This has been addressed a number of times from many different sources, but we can do it once more if you wish.

The idea that 1 year testing = 10% of 10 year testing is just extremely simple thinking. In reality, that 10 years is full of lab work, computer models, administrative delays, months of ethics committee approvals, months of data analysis, months of strategy meetings and funding delays. Cut all that out and you're left with a vastly shorter period.

You've then got to factor that all the vaccines approved so far had a major head start as they were being developed already. The Oxford one has had iterations for malaria and MERS run in trials for years now, among others. So all of the lab proof was essentially done already.

And then the bottom line: who even cares about all that anyway. Its been given to >20,000 people in a clinical trial setting. So no matter what went before that, even if this were the 60s and they'd done no testing whatsoever - if its dangerous it will become apparent when you inject into thousands of people. But they were fine. Its safe over a period of at the time 6 months, now closing on 12 months. And very very few side effects have ever taken longer than 12 months to become apparent in anyone. The ones that do take that long, are more likely to be secondary to a virus than a vaccine.

I don't think anyone claims to be 100% sure about anything. But from the extensive testing before the vaccines were approved and literally hundreds of millions of cases since, we know that the only side effect apparent so far is a 1 in 500,000 risk of blood clots with one vaccine. W

Whereas from the millions of covid cases we've seen, many tens and hundreds of thousands have had horrible immune-related and clotting-related effects including kidney damage and lung scarring, and some even young fit people seem to get very long lasting, sometimes severe effects.

Its just what's been observed so far.

Given just how many drugs have been developed and how amazingly successful medical science and big pharma have been, there's been very few cases of "disastrous effects" actually. Thalidomide was released with literally no testing - it wasn't required at the time. That is why things are so different now.
PRSOM

Can I tag you when I see one of these threads?
ItsStarLordMan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm not getting it and neither are a lot of people in my family and some of the other students that I've talked to at school. There are a number of reasons why not and I've decided to not to. I also know a lot of people that have had side effects, though that doesn't really bother me. I don't think a vaccine is the "only" way forward and we can get through it without. OP, no one is forcing you to get it and I strongly hope they don't put vaccine passports, etc in place. There will be massive court cases if they do.

Spoiler:
Show
Last time I said something like this on TSR, I got attacked :lol:
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ItsStarLordMan)
I'm not getting it and neither are a lot of people in my family and some of the other students that I've talked to at school. There are a number of reasons why not and I've decided to not to. I also know a lot of people that have had side effects, though that doesn't really bother me. I don't think a vaccine is the "only" way forward and we can get through it without. OP, no one is forcing you to get it and I strongly hope they don't put vaccine passports, etc in place. There will be massive court cases if they do.

Spoiler:
Show
Last time I said something like this on TSR, I got attacked :lol:
I get that people have personal reasons why they shouldn’t get it, would you be happy to share your reasons? I don’t want people to attack you just wondering if there’s anything we can reassure you about?

The “vaccine passports” are apparently going to also be for people who’ve tested negative or people who’ve previously tested positive (so have immunity) so not having the vaccine isn’t going to stop people living their lives.

Personally I’m cautious about getting it but given that I’m constantly paranoid about catching the virus and passing it on to others I hope by getting vaccinated it will allow me be less stressed and anxious maybe I won’t even have sore hands constantly 😂. Also if I get a vaccine before uni I have one less reason to not be afraid of leaving home.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HJK27)
I have had the vaccine 3 times. I got it instead of my 2 younger brothers as they want to stay under the radar. I do feel a bit ill but im getting better now.
??
Anonymous #9
Report 1 week ago
I got the first Oxford vaccine as I work in healthcare I was going to go for the second this week but I really don’t fully trust it. I’d have it if I could get the Pfizer one but my trust only offer the Oxford one and I don’t know of anywhere that would give me Pfizer. So don’t think I’l bother getting it.
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got the first Oxford vaccine as I work in healthcare I was going to go for the second this week but I really don’t fully trust it. I’d have it if I could get the Pfizer one but my trust only offer the Oxford one and I don’t know of anywhere that would give me Pfizer. So don’t think I’l bother getting it.
If you’re under 30 you’re get the Pfizer one now I think
Anonymous #9
Report 1 week ago
If you’re under 30 you’re get the Pfizer one now I think
I’m 32 😄
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m 32 😄
That’s annoying maybe because you’re so close to the age range they might let you?? No harm in trying to get one.

You said you’re a healthcare worker, do you work in a high COVID risk area?
Anonymous #9
Report 1 week ago
That’s annoying maybe because you’re so close to the age range they might let you?? No harm in trying to get one.

You said you’re a healthcare worker, do you work in a high COVID risk area?
They don’t really tell you what you get until you are there though I’m not sure how to request it.

We do get patients who are covid positive on our wards yes
Hellllpppp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They don’t really tell you what you get until you are there though I’m not sure how to request it.

We do get patients who are covid positive on our wards yes
Just seen on the news that if you’ve had the first jab the second is going to still be the Astra Zeneca. They said earlier today if you’re in a high risk environment the risks definitely outweigh the risk of clots. Remember over 31 million people have had their 1st jab and the vast majority are completely fine an the risk of the clot is the same as dying in a car crash.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (102)
5.18%
Uncertainty around my education (295)
14.98%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (208)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (276)
14.02%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (86)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (112)
5.69%
Loneliness (172)
8.74%
Financial worries (70)
3.56%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.37%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.67%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (175)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.5%

Watched Threads