Getting an account to get a student loan.

Watch
tande33
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello! I am a UK resident who wants to go to uni next year and needs an account so that I can get a tuition and maintenance loan. I have had a look and the Santander student current account looks good as it comes with a free railcard. However, I go onto the website and It says I need to be 18 (which I am later this month) and that I need to have a confirmed offer to a Uni. I will not have this before I must apply for the loans, so what am I missing? What sort of account should I be looking at? Many thanks!!!
tande33
Rep:
?
Also, I should add that I have a savings account but I got that when I was like 14, so it isn't suitable I don't think, it may not even be under my own name.
Uni_Student321
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by tande33)
Also, I should add that I have a savings account but I got that when I was like 14, so it isn't suitable I don't think, it may not even be under my own name.
You would have to put a different account on student finance for now. Once your place at uni is confirmed, you can apply for a student account. You then change your details on the student finance website with your new student account.
Eo39
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had this issue- I just used my current account details for student finance at the time of applying for it, and then once I could get a student account opened I changed my bank details on the student finance portal to the new student account I had opened. So you’d need to open a current account in the meantime, which you can do. Hope this helps
tande33
Rep:
?
perfect Thanks!

(Original post by Eo39)
I had this issue- I just used my current account details for student finance at the time of applying for it, and then once I could get a student account opened I changed my bank details on the student finance portal to the new student account I had opened. So you’d need to open a current account in the meantime, which you can do. Hope this helps
(Original post by Uni_Student321)
You would have to put a different account on student finance for now. Once your place at uni is confirmed, you can apply for a student account. You then change your details on the student finance website with your new student account.
EchoCat_39
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Go open a normal current account with Santander now and then once you turn 18 and get your Uni offer, go in branch and get them to change it over. I've been with Santander since I was 11 and did this when I went to uni and stayed with them for my student account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (190)
5.05%
Uncertainty around my education (552)
14.66%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (420)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (518)
13.76%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (188)
4.99%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (225)
5.98%
Loneliness (316)
8.39%
Financial worries (138)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (146)
3.88%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.46%
Lack of real life entertainment (214)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (336)
8.92%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (354)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed