gemi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, this is a bit of a weird question but oh well. I'm in year 9 and out of boredom I was just looking at the sixth form colleges my friend's siblings had applied for. I saw on the site it had Classical Greek and Latin and I want to keep my options open but it said that you had to have a Latin GCSE, something that my school doesn't offer. As I'm relatively far away from picking my A levels I dont want to think too much about it. Conversely, I dont want to shut off any opportunities and if I do something about it now I might have a chance. Would it be worth doing Latin as a GCSE out of school? My primary did it (along with classical greek/classical civilization) so I have somewhat of a starting point and I know people that teach it out of school. I'm just worried about closing off opportunities I might like to do in the future, but it seems like something I may be interested in. Could anyone say whether its worth it/is it a good course/if you did extra gcses?
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I think if you'd be interested in Classics, especially as a degree, it could be worth doing Latin GCSE out of school - certainly if you want to take it at A level. At the very least doing a few lessons and realising it isn't for you means you don't have the 'what if'. You would have to pay for it though if that's a concern and possibly pay for tutoring.

I did Latin GCSE and A level and loved it - medicine won out over Classics at degree level though.
gemi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
I think if you'd be interested in Classics, especially as a degree, it could be worth doing Latin GCSE out of school - certainly if you want to take it at A level. At the very least doing a few lessons and realising it isn't for you means you don't have the 'what if'. You would have to pay for it though if that's a concern and possibly pay for tutoring.

I did Latin GCSE and A level and loved it - medicine won out over Classics at degree level though.
Oh okay, thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
10.93%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.08%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.15%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.88%

Watched Threads