The Student Room Group

Can I only go through tutorial worksheets for exam preparation?

Long story short I’m a bit behind on my Law first year, and I have one week open book exams in May, could I just go through tutorial worksheets and make a mini cheat sheet rather than watching all the lectures I missed?
I'd watch the videos to be honest. how did you do tutorials without having done work before?

So my notes for the law exams are

1) the lecture slides with comments from video on them
2) then do the reading BUT you could just skim read and note down in the slides what chapter page is relevant to that bit and where it details the facts of cases mentioned. then if the subject comes up, you can quickly look it up
3) get the articles and cases downloaded that they recommend - and note when the case appears in your notes so could just read it if relevant, same with articles - note the topic and what part of your notes it covers.

then can check past exams, work out what topics always come up/how many you will need to know (like one of my exams, is 4 questions from 12 so I know the whole module will be included as one question and can choose more what to revise)
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine1973
I'd watch the videos to be honest. how did you do tutorials without having done work before?

So my notes for the law exams are

1) the lecture slides with comments from video on them
2) then do the reading BUT you could just skim read and note down in the slides what chapter page is relevant to that bit and where it details the facts of cases mentioned. then if the subject comes up, you can quickly look it up
3) get the articles and cases downloaded that they recommend - and note when the case appears in your notes so could just read it if relevant, same with articles - note the topic and what part of your notes it covers.

then can check past exams, work out what topics always come up/how many you will need to know (like one of my exams, is 4 questions from 12 so I know the whole module will be included as one question and can choose more what to revise)

Thank you!
Original post by DomIt
Long story short I’m a bit behind on my Law first year, and I have one week open book exams in May, could I just go through tutorial worksheets and make a mini cheat sheet rather than watching all the lectures I missed?

Hey, my strategy for exams (open book especially) was to create a 'revision bible', which pretty much contained all the information from lectures, tutorials and seminars. I arranged this by the topics studied (e.g. for crim, Causation and Omissions, Intention and Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter and so on), and under these included statutory rules, case law including a brief summary of the facts the ratio and obiter, and then any further discussion on the topic if this might become a essay question.
I found that by authoring such a document I was familiar with where anything could be found, making my thinking in open book exams faster. Not to mention, flicking through pages of tutorials and lectures is challenging on a time limited exam.

I would strongly recommend watching all your lectures, as otherwise you might miss some core information. If yours are anything like mine used to be, they often mention areas where there is debate you should be aware of etc which is necessary for a 1st.
I also noted from the lecturer's comments which cases they expressed a personal opinion about (ie they said it was wrongly decided) as that was useful to know (assuming their opinions were justifiable/ie there is debate on the subject)
Reply 5
Original post by Nightwish1234
Hey, my strategy for exams (open book especially) was to create a 'revision bible', which pretty much contained all the information from lectures, tutorials and seminars. I arranged this by the topics studied (e.g. for crim, Causation and Omissions, Intention and Murder, Voluntary Manslaughter and so on), and under these included statutory rules, case law including a brief summary of the facts the ratio and obiter, and then any further discussion on the topic if this might become a essay question.
I found that by authoring such a document I was familiar with where anything could be found, making my thinking in open book exams faster. Not to mention, flicking through pages of tutorials and lectures is challenging on a time limited exam.

I would strongly recommend watching all your lectures, as otherwise you might miss some core information. If yours are anything like mine used to be, they often mention areas where there is debate you should be aware of etc which is necessary for a 1st.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest