The Student Room Group

Go back to old career or move forward with new career?

A few years ago I worked in the housing sector. The job was not a management position but was very stressful. I started to feel very weak physically and told management a few times about the workload which was ignored. I ended up catching a virus as my immune system was low. The virus was very bad and I had to have time off. They pressured me to come back when I was still ill. I went back for a few weeks but still had post viral issues. I had to go off again as I had not properly recovered. I came back to work again whilst I still I had not recovered and still felt ill and was bullied my team who said I made up being ill to get time off then I was sacked. The union tried to help but because I didn’t work there for 2 years the company got away with what they did.

It has taken me nearly 3 years to properly recover as I had a lot of physical issues and deficiencies which in that time I decided to change careers.

After nearly years I have nearly finished my level 3 qualification to be Teaching Assistant. I decided to do this as a career change as I enjoy helping people, the children are lovely and the work life balance should better. Lately I have done some temping again in the housing sector. I really enjoy this type of work and the organisation is not corrupt like the last place. I have seen a job advertised for somewhere else to work in housing which would be £2-4K more than working as a teaching assistant.

I don’t know what to do as I have spent nearly 2 years training to be a Teaching Assistant but the pay is very low. Lots of teaching assistants and teachers moan about their jobs and say the pay isn’t good and that management don’t support them. Teaching is not for me as being criticised about my teaching on a regular basis to ‘help with development’ and giving up my evenings and weekends, hobbies and family and friends is not a life that I want. I’m not that desperate for the extra pay.

A lot of people have said covid has changed working practices and that staff are leaving the sector in their droves. I was going to apply for teaching assistant roles in September but it seems covid has made their roles even worse.

I enjoy the housing work but don’t know if I would get the stress again. I know my parents would be annoyed if I went back into housing as my dad has made a comment about this. They would think it was a waste of training. Can anyone give me some advice please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending