Applying to Trinity College Dublin as a UK applicant

Watch
spanishenglish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm a UK applicant who will potentially be applying to TCD for 2022 entry in English, by which time I'll already have my A-Level results. I'm predicted A*A*A, which meets the points requirements, so does that mean I'm guaranteed an offer if I get those grades? I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this anywhere so any help would be much appreciated
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by spanishenglish)
I'm a UK applicant who will potentially be applying to TCD for 2022 entry in English, by which time I'll already have my A-Level results. I'm predicted A*A*A, which meets the points requirements, so does that mean I'm guaranteed an offer if I get those grades? I haven't been able to find a concrete answer to this anywhere so any help would be much appreciated
No, you're not guaranteed an offer. See what TCD say about ranking:

https://www.tcd.ie/study/apply/admis...uate/index.php
magicmark1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You don’t get offers in the CAO system like the UCAS system.

Everyone applies for their courses and puts them in order of preference. After the results are released in mid-August they fill their allocations for each course with the highest performing applicants. If all the places aren’t filled in the first round there may be further rounds of offers.

The points you’re looking at are the minimum points that were accepted on the course in those years. You need to be aware that with the Covid disruption the points last year, this year and probably next year may not follow the expected patterns.

Your 526 points look like they should be enough to get you into the TR023 English Studies course based on the last few year’s entry points.
Last edited by magicmark1; 2 weeks ago
spanishenglish
Rep:
?
(Original post by magicmark1)
You don’t get offers in the CAO system like the UCAS system.

Everyone applies for their courses and puts them in order of preference. After the results are released in mid-August they fill their allocations for each course with the highest performing applicants. If all the places aren’t filled in the first round there may be further rounds of offers.

The points you’re looking at are the minimum points that were accepted on the course in those years. You need to be aware that with the Covid disruption the points last year, this year and probably next year may not follow the expected patterns.

Your 526 points look like they should be enough to get you into the TR023 English Studies course based on the last few year’s entry points.
thank you this is very helpful!
Brown Cow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Please, don't come over to Ireland if you're English, I have had enough of the English to last me a lifetime.
Last edited by Brown Cow; 2 weeks ago
Rockmeteller
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Brown Cow)
Please, don't come over to Ireland if you're English, I have had enough of the English to last me a lifetime.
What have you got against the English? As a Dane I’m curious
Brown Cow
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rockmeteller)
What have you got against the English? As a Dane I’m curious
They're arrogant, full of themselves and rude.
spanishenglish
Rep:
?
(Original post by Brown Cow)
If this is a widespread feeling amongst Irish people in Dublin specifically then maybe I won't bother applying
magicmark1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If this is a widespread feeling amongst Irish people in Dublin specifically then maybe I won't bother applying
It isn’t. That user joined TSR this month, posted this type of message on a number of threads and is now banned. Get an application in to TCD.
magicmark1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is there a reason you’re not applying for 2021 entry? You should still be able to put in a late CAO application up until 1st May and, if you’re quick enough about it, also get an application in for Trinity Hall accommodation this month too.
spanishenglish
Rep:
?
(Original post by magicmark1)
Is there a reason you’re not applying for 2021 entry? You should still be able to put in a late CAO application up until 1st May and, if you’re quick enough about it, also get an application in for Trinity Hall accommodation this month too.
I was always planning to take a gap year and also thanks for your help with that person!
magicmark1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was always planning to take a gap year and also thanks for your help with that person!
You could still apply this year and potentially get a place sorted, then ask to defer for a year and start in 2022. If they don’t agree to the deferral you could reapply through CAO next year.

https://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/underg...s/page0024.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (134)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (403)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (303)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (381)
14%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (124)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (165)
6.06%
Loneliness (233)
8.56%
Financial worries (100)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (110)
4.04%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
4.59%
Lack of real life entertainment (144)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (239)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (261)
9.59%

Watched Threads