the value of international A levels after predicted grades

Watch
benzodiazepine
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
students are now allocated predicted grades after the cancellation of exams, and most of the predicted grades obtained by students are heavily rigged by their corresponding schools they represent. in my country, schools are telling students to complete basic question papers and send it to them - which they will give to british council to grade them on. mind you, this exact thing has happened last year when the exams were cancelled and many students ended up getting good grades. another case: recently, one of the schools i was a part of - i am a private student now - are taking "mocks" on papers students already have their hands on. my friends from my previous school check out papers online and go give exams based on them. another, and the final situation ive heard of happening, is something ive heard from my cousin recently which he heard form his private tutor who is a teacher of a school which this happened in, and that is this school taking actual mocks and all of the students ending up failing in that mock, after that the school decided on using the similar method used in may 2020 - having students do papers at home for predicted grades

my questions are:

1. what is the value of these grades?
2. are the people who ACTUALLY give exams - like the ones in 2020 oct and 2021 jan session examinees - appreciated by unis? or are predicted grades seen equivalent to actual grades?

the reason for which im so frantic about all of this is mainly because i was planning to give exams this may, and they were cancelled once again like last time, this has ended up taking a year off of my studies. now im planning to give exams this oct session and i wish to obtain a scholarship somewhere abroad, and if A levels grades arent worth much, then surely i will not be able to obtain one
Oceanwater
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by benzodiazepine)
students are now allocated predicted grades after the cancellation of exams, and most of the predicted grades obtained by students are heavily rigged by their corresponding schools they represent. in my country, schools are telling students to complete basic question papers and send it to them - which they will give to british council to grade them on. mind you, this exact thing has happened last year when the exams were cancelled and many students ended up getting good grades. another case: recently, one of the schools i was a part of - i am a private student now - are taking "mocks" on papers students already have their hands on. my friends from my previous school check out papers online and go give exams based on them. another, and the final situation ive heard of happening, is something ive heard from my cousin recently which he heard form his private tutor who is a teacher of a school which this happened in, and that is this school taking actual mocks and all of the students ending up failing in that mock, after that the school decided on using the similar method used in may 2020 - having students do papers at home for predicted grades

my questions are:

1. what is the value of these grades?
2. are the people who ACTUALLY give exams - like the ones in 2020 oct and 2021 jan session examinees - appreciated by unis? or are predicted grades seen equivalent to actual grades?

the reason for which im so frantic about all of this is mainly because i was planning to give exams this may, and they were cancelled once again like last time, this has ended up taking a year off of my studies. now im planning to give exams this oct session and i wish to obtain a scholarship somewhere abroad, and if A levels grades arent worth much, then surely i will not be able to obtain one
Honestly, I feel bad for international students. Btw take my answer with a grain of salt because I'm still in Year 12.

Obviously Unis would appreciate the grades being given fairly and accurately (by doing actual exam papers that no students
have seen and therefore, can't cheat on). However, I doubt they're going to look that deep into how you've been assessed and they'll just take the grades forefront.

1) If they've already done the paper or have cheated then of course the grades are inflated and the real value would be much lower.

2)Have no idea.
benzodiazepine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oceanwater)
Honestly, I feel bad for international students. Btw take my answer with a grain of salt because I'm still in Year 12.

Obviously Unis would appreciate the grades being given fairly and accurately (by doing actual exam papers that no students
have seen and therefore, can't cheat on). However, I doubt they're going to look that deep into how you've been assessed and they'll just take the grades forefront.

1) If they've already done the paper or have cheated then of course the grades are inflated and the real value would be much lower.

2)Have no idea.
my head has been all over the place for over a year now. dont have a clue what to do. im from a poor place in south east asia and my plan was to achieve good grades in a levels so i can get a scholarship in some foreign uni. after all of the cancellations, i have no clue what's ever happening, and this predicted grades thing has made everything far worse than it should be. i shouldve given exams in jan 2021 - which i was planning to - but my family didnt have enough money to register at the time
Oceanwater
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
my head has been all over the place for over a year now. dont have a clue what to do. im from a poor place in south east asia and my plan was to achieve good grades in a levels so i can get a scholarship in some foreign uni. after all of the cancellations, i have no clue what's ever happening, and this predicted grades thing has made everything far worse than it should be. i shouldve given exams in jan 2021 - which i was planning to - but my family didnt have enough money to register at the time
F- I'm so sorry that our education system treats international students like this.
So you're planning on sitting exams in October and gain a scholarship abroad. Have you contacted the unis about this situation? You could try emailing them.
benzodiazepine
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oceanwater)
F- I'm so sorry that our education system treats international students like this.
So you're planning on sitting exams in October and gain a scholarship abroad. Have you contacted the unis about this situation? You could try emailing them.
i havent but i plan to
thanks for your concern, it means alot
Oceanwater
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i havent but i plan to
thanks for your concern, it means alot
No problem I just hope everything goes well for you and you get into the uni you like!
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
However, my school is one of those who have rigorous measures, such that the grades can be accurate. My school has promised that GBs will align with 2020 and Jan 2021 ones (as most new spec A2 papers' first assessment was in October 2020), such that our routine under predictions will not happen.
Even after getting the papers, my school will not tell us what topics are coming up, as we finished everything in January after rushing more than half of A2 in three months.
Our papers are done closed-book under timed conditions, and some papers will be allocated a shorter time than that stated on the paper, like in last year's June mock we only have 60 minutes for a 80-minute paper. In October we had the real exam for that unit, and all of us got an A.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (208)
42.98%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (74)
15.29%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (194)
40.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
1.65%

Watched Threads