LSE BSc Economics offer - reject it and reapply next year?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have an offer to study BSc Economics (2021 entry) at the LSE but I want to apply to Cambridge (and a few US universities) in my gap year. So if I reject the offer and reapply the following year to the same course at the LSE (2022 entry), am I likely to be rejected based on my choice?

Ofcourse when I apply again, my personal statement will be much better than my PS in the previous year* @LSEadmissionsteam
neillgonz10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What are your stats?
Anonymous #1
10 9s at GCSE and 4 A-Levels - likely to get 4 A*s [Including FM/Econ]
pop7865
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wonder why it is necessary to reply for cam econ given the fact that you’ve already got an offer from lse. In terms of their reputations in econ, they should be very close to each other. Additionally, you can still apply for us unis in your first year at lse.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pop7865)
I wonder why it is necessary to reply for cam econ given the fact that you’ve already got an offer from lse. In terms of their reputations in econ, they should be very close to each other. Additionally, you can still apply for us unis in your first year at lse.
Cambridge at least formerly wouldn't consider applications from students already enrolled in a degree programme at another uni, even for first year entry, so if that is the OPs wish then it does limit them. Arguably LSE is actually better for economics as well.

(Original post by Anonymous)
I have an offer to study BSc Economics (2021 entry) at the LSE but I want to apply to Cambridge (and a few US universities) in my gap year. So if I reject the offer and reapply the following year to the same course at the LSE (2022 entry), am I likely to be rejected based on my choice?

Ofcourse when I apply again, my personal statement will be much better than my PS in the previous year* @LSEadmissionsteam
They're unlikely to reject you just because you didn't take up the offer this year, but there is no guarantee whatsoever they will accept you again, as it is a very competitive course at LSE (it's more competitive than Cambridge economics, FYI). Just because you were successful this year doesn't imply you will be successful next year, as it will be a different cohort of applicants you are competing against and you may well get edged out of the competition.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush in my opinion, and even if LSE was just near or equivalent to Cambridge I'd suggest sticking with that offer. As it is, LSE is quite possibly the better economics programme so it seems quite a gamble to reject your current offer to reapply to a course that is at best equivalent and at worst maybe slightly weaker. It's hard to see what you gain from doing so.
Anonymous #1
Ah I understand - thank you!

Honestly speaking, I've pretty much understood that the LSE course is on level with the Cambridge course for Economics and I also know that in terms of just pure Economics, LSE's professors/academics have more fame so going there wouldn't at all be a disadvantage!

The reason I was considering Cambridge was because of the prestigious reputation label (I know I'm so bad haha!) and the fact that it's campus life/sports facilities and generally everything non-academically is much better so I wanted to spend 3 years at such an institution.

I know that Cambridge doesn't allow you to apply while you're at another institution, but does Oxford allow you? I believe they do but I'm not too sure - if they did, I'd be applying for E&M there.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ah I understand - thank you!

Honestly speaking, I've pretty much understood that the LSE course is on level with the Cambridge course for Economics and I also know that in terms of just pure Economics, LSE's professors/academics have more fame so going there wouldn't at all be a disadvantage!

The reason I was considering Cambridge was because of the prestigious reputation label (I know I'm so bad haha!) and the fact that it's campus life/sports facilities and generally everything non-academically is much better so I wanted to spend 3 years at such an institution.

I know that Cambridge doesn't allow you to apply while you're at another institution, but does Oxford allow you? I believe they do but I'm not too sure - if they did, I'd be applying for E&M there.
It goes like this:
1. do you want to go to LSE? Yes or no.
2. Regarding Cambridge, is it worth it to give up the London life over a life in the “countryside”? Yes or no
3. Are the US universities really worth it? Yes or no

If you answer 1 with yes, then just take LSE lol
Anonymous #1
Haha - fair enough!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (150)
42.37%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.97%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (143)
40.4%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.26%

Watched Threads