The Student Room Group

Things to bring to uni that most people don’t think of

So i’m going away to uni in September and just wanted to start making a list of things i need to buy before hand. I have the obvious things down but was just wondering what other things i might need that i might not think of. Thanks :smile:
Original post by holly1602
So i’m going away to uni in September and just wanted to start making a list of things i need to buy before hand. I have the obvious things down but was just wondering what other things i might need that i might not think of. Thanks :smile:

Hi there @holly1602 [br] [br] Somethings that I found to be useful were a clothes horse/airer, a board game of sorts, a doorstop! If you're looking to decorate command hooks are a lifesaver and some easy-to-pack clothes hangers! I found that my odd jumble of hangers was really difficult to pack as none of them lay flat in the car!
I also found (I don't know if this applies to you or not but hey) that taking a spare pair of glasses with me was useful on more than one occasion!

More often than not, you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on new things for uni, and if you forget it when you go it's so easy to buy/ order things as needed.

I would recommend looking at what your accommodation already offers, for example, while many don't provide kettles and toasters it can be a good idea not to buy them until you get there as someone else will have almost definitely brought one and you don't want to end up with a kitchen of 8 kettles!

Good luck!
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador
Reply 2
Original post by Cat Tonge (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Hi there @holly1602 [br] [br] Somethings that I found to be useful were a clothes horse/airer, a board game of sorts, a doorstop! If you're looking to decorate command hooks are a lifesaver and some easy-to-pack clothes hangers! I found that my odd jumble of hangers was really difficult to pack as none of them lay flat in the car!
I also found (I don't know if this applies to you or not but hey) that taking a spare pair of glasses with me was useful on more than one occasion!

More often than not, you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on new things for uni, and if you forget it when you go it's so easy to buy/ order things as needed.

I would recommend looking at what your accommodation already offers, for example, while many don't provide kettles and toasters it can be a good idea not to buy them until you get there as someone else will have almost definitely brought one and you don't want to end up with a kitchen of 8 kettles!

Good luck!
All the best,
Cat, York St John University Student Ambassador

Thank you!

Hiya!

It's a good idea to watch student moving in vlogs on Youtube to get some ideas! I also recommend having a list on your phone, as you'll find yourself randomly thinking of new things and you can make sure you write it down and don't forget!

From my own experience, these are the key things I have used throughout my university journey! Some of them may seem obvious but it's best to make sure you definitely have everything you need Hopefully the list will include some tips that will help you prepare.

1. Clothes
I found that the best way to pack for uni was to go through absolutely everything and ask myself if I would really need it! I would recommend packing a real mix of chill/lounge-wear/joggers , jeans/casual clothes, pjs, and going out/dressy clothes.

2. Toiletries/ Make up/ skincare/ bath mat/ towels.

3. Basic kitchen/ living / bedding list (e.g. 2 plates, 1 pasta bowl, 1 cereal bowl, set of 4 cutlery, food containers, kitchen utensils, baking trays, cups, mugs, washing powder and detergent, bedding- duvet protector, pillow protector, pillows, duvet, sheets, laundry bag).

- However, I would advise that you don't take a kettle/toaster/microwave as if you're living in student halls with other students, the accommodation may provide it already, and other student's may have decided to take it and you don't want to end up with 6 kettles!

4. Slippers/ Sliders
I lived in sliders all the time at uni, mostly because I didn't know how clean the floor was haha!

5. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer/ sock dryer

6. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

7. Mini portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

8. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

9. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, photo prints, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

10. Printer
Sometimes there can be confusion as to whether you would need a printer. I would definitely think this over, as my flat mate brought one in first year and never used it! Your university should provide you with a printing credit, and there will be printers available in nearly every uni building for you to use! However, I also had another flatmate who studied graphics and illustration and always used her printer as she needed it constantly for her coursework. So have a think over if you will definitely need it, if so you could sae yourself money, and space in your room!

11. Slippers/ Sliders
These have been a must throughout uni!

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi there,

I hope you're excited about starting University in September! :smile:

One thing that I wish someone would have told me to bring is a LOT of stationary - you're always losing them and lending them out! So, I would definitely bring as many pens and pencils as you can! As well, you can never bring too many pictures from home!

But apart from that, everyone else's suggestions are also really important and valuable! :biggrin:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Hi @holly1602,

Great questions. If it's your first time living away from home (which to most people, it is), it can be difficult to visualise what you will need. At most University accommodation there are shops nearby.

Here are some commonly overlooked items:
- Extension cables
- Mattress topper (some people like a bit of extra comfort added to less expensive mattresses used in halls)
- Bins (for your room, Kitchen bins are usually provided already)
- All your usual stationery (stapler, paper, folders, etc. - also worth considering getting a small printer)
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
- Washing pods/powder - your first wash will come around fast :smile:
- Toilet utilities; toilet brush, toilet paper, etc.

Hope this helps,
James - official student rep

Hey @holly1602

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now. Make a list of things you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/accommodation/ouraccommodation/whatsincluded/whattobring/

As @University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door. I packed lots of clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. I would also recommend taking an extension cable so you can plug in your laptop, hairdryer etc. I found it useful having a printer in my room to print out assignments so I could go over them and make changes before I handed them in. It depends on your course but some tutors prefer you to submit a hard copy as well as an electronic copy of an assignment. Pack a heavy coat as depending on where you're living on campus, you might have a 10-15 minute walk to uni. I usually wear jeans, hoodies and trainers to uni everyday.

I made my room more homely by hanging up some fairy lights and had a few little things on my desk such as pictures of family and friends and plants. I didn't actually do a shop for kitchen utensils until I moved as I wanted to see what the accommodation had provided for us e.g. kettle, toaster etc. The Range has a great selection of little extras for your room and B&M is really cheap for bathroom essentials too.

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Hiya!

It's a good idea to watch student moving in vlogs on Youtube to get some ideas! I also recommend having a list on your phone, as you'll find yourself randomly thinking of new things and you can make sure you write it down and don't forget!

From my own experience, these are the key things I have used throughout my university journey! Some of them may seem obvious but it's best to make sure you definitely have everything you need Hopefully the list will include some tips that will help you prepare.

1. Clothes
I found that the best way to pack for uni was to go through absolutely everything and ask myself if I would really need it! I would recommend packing a real mix of chill/lounge-wear/joggers , jeans/casual clothes, pjs, and going out/dressy clothes.

2. Toiletries/ Make up/ skincare/ bath mat/ towels.

3. Basic kitchen/ living / bedding list (e.g. 2 plates, 1 pasta bowl, 1 cereal bowl, set of 4 cutlery, food containers, kitchen utensils, baking trays, cups, mugs, washing powder and detergent, bedding- duvet protector, pillow protector, pillows, duvet, sheets, laundry bag).

- However, I would advise that you don't take a kettle/toaster/microwave as if you're living in student halls with other students, the accommodation may provide it already, and other student's may have decided to take it and you don't want to end up with 6 kettles!

4. Slippers/ Sliders
I lived in sliders all the time at uni, mostly because I didn't know how clean the floor was haha!

5. Heated clothes horse/ stand up clothes dryer/ sock dryer

6. Disposable camera
It's a really great thing to do to make some memories and can print off at the end of the term/ year!

7. Mini portable speaker
Can use for pres or just in your bedroom.

8. Door stop
My flatmates did too and we chose to leave our door open if we felt like inviting others in our flat to come in our rooms, using a 'open door policy'. It was just a nice and easier way to get to know my flatmates and would definitely recommend it especially if you're not very confident in going and talking to people. However, double check with your accommodation about fire door regulation's/ safety measures.

9. Things to decorate your room with!
Photo frames, photo prints, soft furnishings, cacti, fake plants, fairy lights, lava lamp, bunting etc.

10. Printer
Sometimes there can be confusion as to whether you would need a printer. I would definitely think this over, as my flat mate brought one in first year and never used it! Your university should provide you with a printing credit, and there will be printers available in nearly every uni building for you to use! However, I also had another flatmate who studied graphics and illustration and always used her printer as she needed it constantly for her coursework. So have a think over if you will definitely need it, if so you could sae yourself money, and space in your room!

11. Slippers/ Sliders
These have been a must throughout uni!

Best of luck at uni! Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

I hope you're excited about starting University in September! :smile:

One thing that I wish someone would have told me to bring is a LOT of stationary - you're always losing them and lending them out! So, I would definitely bring as many pens and pencils as you can! As well, you can never bring too many pictures from home!

But apart from that, everyone else's suggestions are also really important and valuable! :biggrin:

Ana:h:
University of Liverpool Rep.

Original post by University of Derby
Hi @holly1602,

Great questions. If it's your first time living away from home (which to most people, it is), it can be difficult to visualise what you will need. At most University accommodation there are shops nearby.

Here are some commonly overlooked items:
- Extension cables
- Mattress topper (some people like a bit of extra comfort added to less expensive mattresses used in halls)
- Bins (for your room, Kitchen bins are usually provided already)
- All your usual stationery (stapler, paper, folders, etc. - also worth considering getting a small printer)
.tb_button {padding:1px;cursor:tongue:ointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursor:tongue:ointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
- Washing pods/powder - your first wash will come around fast :smile:
- Toilet utilities; toilet brush, toilet paper, etc.

Hope this helps,
James - official student rep

Original post by University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Hey @holly1602

I made a list of what I was going to take to uni at the beginning of the summer, so it's good that you're starting to prepare now. Make a list of things you'll need, you may find this link helpful:

https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/accommodation/ouraccommodation/whatsincluded/whattobring/

As @University of Portsmouth Student Rep mentioned a doorstop is useful for your bedroom door. I packed lots of clothes hangers as these often aren't provided in halls. I would also recommend taking an extension cable so you can plug in your laptop, hairdryer etc. I found it useful having a printer in my room to print out assignments so I could go over them and make changes before I handed them in. It depends on your course but some tutors prefer you to submit a hard copy as well as an electronic copy of an assignment. Pack a heavy coat as depending on where you're living on campus, you might have a 10-15 minute walk to uni. I usually wear jeans, hoodies and trainers to uni everyday.

I made my room more homely by hanging up some fairy lights and had a few little things on my desk such as pictures of family and friends and plants. I didn't actually do a shop for kitchen utensils until I moved as I wanted to see what the accommodation had provided for us e.g. kettle, toaster etc. The Range has a great selection of little extras for your room and B&M is really cheap for bathroom essentials too.

Hope this helps :smile:

Melissa- Student Ambassador

Thank you!!
Reply 8

Yours is better my dear w
I am busy looking for financial support
Got offer into MSc Biomedical science.
I need support to join you guys
Please

Quick Reply

Latest