The Student Room Group

Born Loner

I feel like I don't understand relationships...

Since being a child I have always had friends, at least until a few years ago. Never been in a relationship with a woman either.

If I go on dating apps it doesn't feel right to me. It is almost as if I'm kidding myself and faking who I am (because a photo and description can never really show a person who you really are) just to create some kind of relationship, but then I think for what purpose?

Over the past few years of being a 100% loner I feel this weird disconnection. Everything I do for work is really just for myself. I don't use it to create meaningful relationships even though I get on well with people. I take no real thought or notice of relationships now. My future just consists of me progressing and being successful with career, but never relationships. The idea of being in relationships just fades away.

A romantic relationship seems just... weird to me? I feel so disconnected to the thought of a woman liking me that is never seems of reality, more like just fantasy and imagination, something you read or watch in movies, something that happened in somebody else's life, not mine.

It has been so long, that I no longer understand it.

Scroll to see replies

Man up.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Since being a child I have always had friends, at least until a few years ago. Never been in a relationship with a woman either.

If I go on dating apps it doesn't feel right to me. It is almost as if I'm kidding myself and faking who I am (because a photo and description can never really show a person who you really are) just to create some kind of relationship, but then I think for what purpose?

Over the past few years of being a 100% loner I feel this weird disconnection. Everything I do for work is really just for myself. I don't use it to create meaningful relationships even though I get on well with people. I take no real thought or notice of relationships now. My future just consists of me progressing and being successful with career, but never relationships. The idea of being in relationships just fades away.

A romantic relationship seems just... weird to me? I feel so disconnected to the thought of a woman liking me that is never seems of reality, more like just fantasy and imagination, something you read or watch in movies, something that happened in somebody else's life, not mine.

deep.
Reply 3
Original post by White Liquid
Man up.

I think you truly misunderstand the seriousness of this post.
Original post by ajáh
deep.

I hope that isn't sarcastic.

U might wanna try grinder most people dont want relationships just hook ups
Reply 5
U might wanna try grinder most people dont want relationships just hook ups

I'm a heterosexual male and not into just hooking up it just seems pretty pointless to me.
I'm a heterosexual male and not into just hooking up it just seems pretty pointless to me.

Oh sorry,hmmmmm do you feel hormy or having the desire for sex?

Maybe try clubbing when clubs open again
Reply 8
Oh sorry,hmmmmm do you feel hormy or having the desire for sex?

Yeah I'm not asexual.
Relationships are not the be all and end all
Original post by black tea
Relationships are not the be all and end all

But are you sure about that? I'm not sure being alone your entire life is such a good way to go, and that is part of the issue I'm having.
Yeah I'm not asexual.

I know someone like u,im simple terms ur an introvert u keep to yourself and dont really need to spend time in relationships but u might want or need a relationship like a friend or something.you dont like to force relationships and that can be hard on a introvert u have to find someone u really enjoy being with which can be hard.
I get you OP, i'm one of those drifters aswell. I think some people are just like that and do well in life in other ways, maybe not in the conventional LTR way but in other ways. Just keep plodding along :smile:
But are you sure about that? I'm not sure being alone your entire life is such a good way to go, and that is part of the issue I'm having.

For me personally, yeah. I'm happier single.
I know someone like u,im simple terms ur an introvert u keep to yourself and dont really need to spend time in relationships but u might want or need a relationship like a friend or something.you dont like to force relationships and that can be hard on a introvert u have to find someone u really enjoy being with which can be hard.

Pretty much yeah, I'm a very very honest and "real" person. I don't understand forced relationships at all, though at the same time I'm not picky in the slightest. Being introverted (although weirdly I'm actually very self confident in a lot of ways) certainly had made relationships harder, but it has also been so long and I have no experience, so don't understand them.
Original post by neal95
I get you OP, i'm one of those drifters aswell. I think some people are just like that and do well in life in other ways, maybe not in the conventional LTR way but in other ways. Just keep plodding along :smile:

For me personally, yeah. I'm happier single.

Hmmm the thing I wonder is this may change as you get older. I'm now mid 30's. I think is I was 25, sure you are just getting started, at 35 you start thinking hang on a moment... so what is my future really going to look like.
Hmmm the thing I wonder is this may change as you get older. I'm now mid 30's. I think is I was 25, sure you are just getting started, at 35 you start thinking hang on a moment... so what is my future really going to look like.

Have you asked anyone at work out maybe just for a drink? Did you make friends at uni?
Pretty much yeah, I'm a very very honest and "real" person. I don't understand forced relationships at all, though at the same time I'm not picky in the slightest. Being introverted (although weirdly I'm actually very self confident in a lot of ways) certainly had made relationships harder, but it has also been so long and I have no experience, so don't understand them.

Yeah ur defo like someone i know lol i understand u very well.tty chatting to people with the same sort of intrests so its not lile ur forcing a convo or something,only talk talk about things u like and see if the convo gets ur attention.if u want we can chat

My peers are mostly married and starting to have kids and I still don't really see the attraction. Like if a relationship happens, it happens, but I don't see it as a goal for myself.
My peers are mostly married and starting to have kids and I still don't really see the attraction. Like if a relationship happens, it happens, but I don't see it as a goal for myself.

That’s a healthy mindset tbh. OP should just do his own thing and not be pressured by what society expects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending