Incline planes

Watch this thread
r7kytt
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Idk how they resolved horizontally, where did Nsin35 come from?

Name:  9B23002F-A141-491D-9C93-4BDE37B065D5.jpg.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  37.2 KB
mqb2766
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Look at the"triangle" where the ladder is resting on the drum at P. The horizontal component is Nsin(35)
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 year ago
r7kytt
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Look at the"triangle" where the ladder is resting on the drum at P. The horizontal component is Nsin(35)
But how? That isn’t horizontal
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by r7kytt)
But how? That isn’t horizontal
Resolve N.
r7kytt
Rep:
Resolve N.
Resolving for N, you take F from the ground and then the resultant forces, but Nsin35 isn’t the horizontal component...
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Resolving for N, you take F from the ground and then the resultant forces, but Nsin35 isn’t the horizontal component...
? F has nothing to do with resolving N.
N has a horizontal component so draw a right angled triangle (one vertex is P) to resolve things as usual. They've already given you an angle and two of the sides.
r7kytt
Rep:
? F has nothing g to do with resolving N.
N has a horizontal component draw a right angled triangle (one vertex is P) to resolve things. They've already given you an angle and two of the sides.
Why does it say F =

Then?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Why does it say F =

Then?
Because the (two) forces are in equilibrium (horizontally).
r7kytt
Rep:
Because the (two) forces are in equilibrium (horizontally).
Sorry, I still can’t see it. I was under the impression that resolving horizontally had to go in the opposite direction and vice versa to vertically. I’m very confused, I see what you mean by Nsin35 right angle triangle but not sure why they would be equal or rather why it’s took as a horizontal component
r7kytt
Rep:
I think the confusion is in the diagram, I think I get it now but the diagram is at an angle. Thank you
r7kytt
Rep:
As in, it’s meant to be north not north east
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sorry, I still can’t see it. I was under the impression that resolving horizontally had to go in the opposite direction and vice versa to vertically. I’m very confused, I see what you mean by Nsin35 right angle triangle but not sure why they would be equal or rather why it’s took as a horizontal component
Why not draw your own diagram, concentrating on the horizontal forces and upload it together with the force equation that describes horizontal equilibrium. It's easier to help if I can understand what you think.
r7kytt
Rep:
Why not draw your own diagram, concentrating on the horizontal forces and upload it together with the force equation that describes horizontal equilibrium. It's easier to help if I can understand what you think.
I get it now, the confusion was the diagram. It’s north, not north east. It looked north east, I think I’m just tired
davros
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I get it now, the confusion was the diagram. It’s north, not north east. It looked north east, I think I’m just tired
What's north? The normal reaction N at P is normal to the ladder and the ladder is inclined at an angle to the horizontal, so N certainly isn't pointing north. The diagram looks OK to me
r7kytt
Rep:
(Original post by davros)
What's north? The normal reaction N at P is normal to the ladder and the ladder is inclined at an angle to the horizontal, so N certainly isn't pointing north. The diagram looks OK to me
What??! So why would it be Nsin35???
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
N is the normal reaction. Sin(35), see all the earlier posts.
Please try your own solution and upload your working.
davros
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You're resolving horizontally at this point. The force F is along the ground as per the diagram. The reaction force R is purely vertical as per the diagram so it doesn't contribute. So you're looking at a horizontal force to balance F for equilibrium. It can't be the weight because weight is purely vertical. So we need the component of N in the horizontal direction.

It might help to draw a horizontal line through P so that you can see what the angles are. Since the ladder is at an angle 35 degrees to the ground, a horizontal line through P makes an angle 35 degrees with the ladder (alternate angles). Given that the force N is normal to the ladder at contact point P, you should now be able to resolve N into its horizontal and vertical components.
r7kytt
Rep:
But Nsin35 is not horizontal? That’s at a slant??????????

Name:  D82A4ACF-DA26-40B0-8C8B-5305EE4F54E9.jpg.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  21.3 KB

If you had a ladder, for example

Name:  3A84B7C7-DAF7-4931-9250-41C91D0AD906.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  9.1 KB

Both forces are horizontal so you can equal them, so why isn’t Nsin35 horizontal but it equals force on the ground ?
davros
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
But Nsin35 is not horizontal? That’s at a slant??????????

Name:  D82A4ACF-DA26-40B0-8C8B-5305EE4F54E9.jpg.jpeg
Views: 10
Size:  21.3 KB

Not quite sure what you're doing there. N is perpendicular to the plane so slopes approx north-west as per the diagram. The vertical component of N is Ncos35 which you have labelled correctly. The horizontal component of N is Nsin35 pointing to the left (west). You have written Nsin35 in the direction N is pointing in???
r7kytt
Rep:
I see it now thank you!

You confused me because I got it last night, it’s because I drew the triangle wrong lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads