Injured myself skating, i'm stuck at home and i can feel my mental health slipping.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

I'm currently stuck at home, bedridden due to a major injury in my knee after a pretty close call whilst skating. I've completely torn my LCL, MCL ACL, and a minor tear to my PCL, not counting the meniscus injury I've 100% sustained. Before this, I was skating every day and making good progress and making a whole lot of new friends as long as the ones who've been skating with me since sixth form, we've all coalesced into a group. I was one of the only two in our group that managed to get sponsored by a small local skate shop, I thought that I could actually get my name on the map through climbing the ladder. Unfortunately due to my injury, I've been dropped and it's disheartening but that's the least of my issues. I go off to Uni in September, and I can't skate for 6 months to a year by my guess. Skating was my only source of social interaction during my gap year and in a way kept me in line with a "daily dose", however it feels incredibly lonely at home. I've tried playing games to keep my mind off things, a whole lot of Netflix and youtube but it doesn't seem to help. The main reason I chose to do a gap year was to ensure that before I went into uni my mental health would be alright and I could handle the pressure, but it seems to have taken a big capital U-turn against me. If anybody has any tips on combatting loneliness or anything to keep my mind off things please let me know, I don't have many friends so I figured I'd turn to the community for help.

sorry if it was a long read, thank you for your time.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Might be worth investing some time into a new hobby that you can do from home. There's a lot you can do even when you're bedridden. Drawing, reading, music, meditation, journalling, knitting, gaming, etc. Loads of things. It's rough when you're injured, but use this time to take things slowly and get to know yourself, get something positive out of it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.03%
Uncertainty around my education (541)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (411)
11.12%
Lack of purpose or motivation (509)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.95%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
6%
Loneliness (312)
8.44%
Financial worries (136)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (167)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (330)
8.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (346)
9.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise