sdad
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hello everyone
I was wondering if we get Consequential economic loss or Negligent misstatement problem question do we need to use the Caparo guide ( novel case) after proving that it is Consequential economic loss or negligent misstatement.
thank you
Pythian
Badges: 18
Report 2 months ago
Firstly, consequential loss is completely different from pure economic loss. Two different concepts.

Secondly, the law had developed a different line of jurisprudence from Donoghue v Stevenson where the "neighbour principle" couldn't work. Instead, the law focuses on the "voluntary assumption of responsibility" (Lord Reid) and a "special relationship of proximity" (Lord Devlin - akin to contract) as an adequate control for loss arising from negligent words. The major starting point here is the Hedley Byrne v Heller case.

Thirdly, Hedley Byrne was decided prior to Caparo. In 2006, Customs and Excise v Barclays Bank - House of Lords (Bingham, Hoffmann et al) confirmed that Hedley Byrne v Heller suffices in relation to negligent misstatement as opposed to the Caparo triumvirate.
sdad
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Pythian)
Firstly, consequential loss is completely different from pure economic loss. Two different concepts.

Secondly, the law had developed a different line of jurisprudence from Donoghue v Stevenson where the "neighbour principle" couldn't work. Instead, the law focuses on the "voluntary assumption of responsibility" (Lord Reid) and a "special relationship of proximity" (Lord Devlin - akin to contract) as an adequate control for loss arising from negligent words. The major starting point here is the Hedley Byrne v Heller case.Customs and Excise v Barclays Bank

Thirdly, Hedley Byrne was decided prior to Caparo. In 2006, Customs and Excise v Barclays Bank - House of Lords (Bingham, Hoffmann et al) confirmed that Hedley Byrne v Heller suffices in relation to negligent misstatement as opposed to the Caparo triumvirate.
Customs and Excise v Barclays Bank, did confirmed that Caparo guide could be used if assumption of responsibility test fails.
I know that consequential loss is different from pure economic loss, so does we use Caparo guide?
Also, for other special circumstance such as, psychic harm or omission can we use Caparo? Like law has different rules for each so I was wondering like in economic loss if assumption of responsibility fails we are allowed to use Caparo.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (126)
41.58%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.92%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.11%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.89%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.27%

Watched Threads