pizza2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, I'm a final year history undergrad and I just got a job as teaching assistant with TeachNow. I have tutored in the past and I have also worked in a summer camp, but I've never actually worked in a classroom. I'm going to start working in two weeks and I'm extremely nervous: I don't know what to expect and I'm really nervous.
Does anyone have any tips for me? Any piece of advice will be greatly appreciated!
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pizza2000)
Hi there! I'm new to this forum, I'm a final year history undergrad and I just got a job as teaching assistant with TeachNow. I have tutored in the past and I have also worked in a summer camp, but I've never actually worked in a classroom. I'm going to start working in two weeks and I'm extremely nervous: I don't know what to expect and I'm really nervous.
Does anyone have any tips for me? Any piece of advice will be greatly appreciated!
Hello :ciao:

I am a Primary Education student and I worked as a Teaching Assistant in my gap year!

My first tip would be to remember that you have been given a job and so the employers have faith in you. They have not only chosen you because they think you would be suited to the job but also because you would do well in their school!

The teacher in the classroom knows the class very well and will have routines and organisation already in place. You can talk to the teacher about these and find out where they would like you to fit into them. Teachers are so lovely and understanding so will be more than happy to calm any of your nerves.
When I was a TA, I would go through the planning with my teacher every day and she would leave her plan out on her desk so I could refer to it whenever. This is something you could request so that you have a plan on paper that can act as a guide.

Just follow routine and follow your instincts! The teacher will tell you what they need of you and the children won't be afraid to ask which will also give you some direction.

Good luck and congratulations on the job!

Lydia
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have summer camp experience then you know a little of what to expect. If you are teaching years 10 & 11 then they will try it on knowing you are a teaching assistant so be firm and clear that you will not stand for any misbehaviour. Most schools have a diary where the teacher can write a chit and xx number of bad comments from teachers can lead to school break detentions. Find out what your school uses.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (162)
41.54%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (56)
14.36%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (164)
42.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.05%

Watched Threads