Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
for first and second year I got firsts, I was doing well enjoying my course

this year working from home has hit me hard, I have just been scraping 2.1s in all modules. Now a first overall is out of my reach and I am just so deflated. I feel like the work I put in previously has kind of gone to waste...

I have heard of some Unis putting safety nets into place and saying that students will not be receiving grades lower that what they got the previous year -- is this true??
is it worth putting it forwards to my uni??
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The safety blanket was true this time last year. Thus if someone had been averaging say 65% in semester 1 then any grade lower than 65% in semester 2 was not taken into account to work out the grade point average. This ensured that the individual was guaranteed 65% and if they did better in any S2 module then it would only increase their GPA.

That is not the case this year. Whatever mark you attained in semester 1 is the mark. Ditto for semester 2 and for your dissertation.

Not great news for you I know - sorry.
Last edited by mike23mike; 2 weeks ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
for first and second year I got firsts, I was doing well enjoying my course

this year working from home has hit me hard, I have just been scraping 2.1s in all modules. Now a first overall is out of my reach and I am just so deflated. I feel like the work I put in previously has kind of gone to waste...

I have heard of some Unis putting safety nets into place and saying that students will not be receiving grades lower that what they got the previous year -- is this true??
is it worth putting it forwards to my uni??
Hello!

I would recommend emailing your unit leader/ personal tutor/ university's Study Support team, to ask about the specifics for your course about how your final year will be marked, as it will differ at each university and for each course This will hopefully provide you some comfort for your final year grading!

For me, in my first and second year at uni, the lowest scoring module was removed and then the overall grade for the year was the average from the remaining five modules. This may be the case for you where your lowest scoring module is removed from your average. This helped my grade improve massively by removing the lowest scoring module!

Calculations for your final year will vary from each uni so it's best to ask. Some courses will have a 10% contribution from first year to the final year grade, whereas others take the best 6 grades from the modules from year 2 and year 3, or just use the final year grade only.

It's worth an ask, especially as certain modules may be weighted differently! You can also ask to see what their no-detriment policy is in regards to COVID.

Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (139)
4.81%
Uncertainty around my education (426)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (324)
11.21%
Lack of purpose or motivation (404)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (132)
4.57%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (176)
6.09%
Loneliness (248)
8.58%
Financial worries (106)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (118)
4.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (155)
5.36%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (257)
8.89%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (273)
9.45%

Watched Threads