Not sure on whether to go for Kings or Aston

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The cost of living in London is so expensive and I don’t think I’d be able to afford that whilst the rent cost and everything else in Aston would be so much cheaper. I really like both unis but I’m unsure in which to pick
What costs are there that makes living out in London so expensive and what is the rent like there? My parents wouldn’t be able to support me if I had any financial issues so London would just be too risky to live in. Any advice?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Choose king's
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree with Anon 2, Kings is the better option.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by V℮rsions)
I agree with Anon 2, Kings is the better option.
What makes Kings the better option
I can’t decide on which one
pineapplemango
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I tried posting a reply here earlier, but it says its been under review since yesterday, so I will try again, haha.

Kings is definitely the better option. I am an international student who has an offer from Kings for the fall, and the cost of living definitely is something I have looked into as well, as it can be pretty expensive.

However, Kings does have a lot of student accommodation options, some that are pretty cheap in comparison, especially certain en-suites and single rooms. You also get a lot of student discounts in London, so basically half priced bus/train tickets and such, and there are a lot of discounts in terms of dining and other things too that I would definitely take advantage of. Have you looked into KAAS (Kings Affordable Accommodation Scheme)? If your parents income is under a certain amount you might qualify and it works on a first come first serve basis where you get the cheapest rate possible for housing.

As for Kings being the better option; it has a way better reputation and ranks consistently among the top 10 UK universities. Its reputation is really good both in the UK and the rest of the world, and future employers will definitely be more impressed with Kings on your resume than with Aston. Are you going to study an undergraduate degree or a masters? What field are you in? That way I could give you some better comparisons.
V℮rsions
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What makes Kings the better option
I can’t decide on which one
Reputation, much better to have Kings on your CV than it is to have Aston, and I'd say there's consensus on that (minus Aston representatives).
Anonymous #1
The entry requirements differ by a lot too
So I’m worried that if I don’t get the grades I’ll be rejected from one and if I put the other as an insurance choice, I’ve read that they’re less likely to accept me as an insurance and I’d have to go through clearing
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Just firm kcl, it's better in every way possible as everyone else on this thread has mentioned. If you don't get in, you don't get in, you can always go through clearing or try again next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (145)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (438)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (334)
11.23%
Lack of purpose or motivation (414)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (139)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (180)
6.05%
Loneliness (255)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (121)
4.07%
Exposure to negative news/social media (135)
4.54%
Lack of real life entertainment (161)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (261)
8.78%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (281)
9.45%

Watched Threads