Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi

I'm looking for some advice on how to get into a simple 9-5 Mon-Fri office job, mainly doing stuff such as admin and data entry type things. I've only ever worked in retail and, to put it mildly, the last few months haven't been great and am ready to move into an office job, where I've always believed I'd be better suited. Any suggestions on how I can land such a position? I've applied for everything, even junior roles that advertise as no experience required, but only seem to get emails back rejecting me due to lack of experience. Even agencies seem to only want experience.
Abzzz57
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I'm looking for some advice on how to get into a simple 9-5 Mon-Fri office job, mainly doing stuff such as admin and data entry type things. I've only ever worked in retail and, to put it mildly, the last few months haven't been great and am ready to move into an office job, where I've always believed I'd be better suited. Any suggestions on how I can land such a position? I've applied for everything, even junior roles that advertise as no experience required, but only seem to get emails back rejecting me due to lack of experience. Even agencies seem to only want experience.
Hi, I know this post is two days old but as you haven't had any replies yet, I thought I would reply! I would suggest joining an agency and doing temp work (1 week fill in positions) for a few months, that way you gain references and experience. Often when your temping they have permanent positions opening up and you can apply for those. I would also make sure your CV is catered for the admin role, so I know you have worked retail but did you have to do any admin duties, so stock take, using excel, sending emails to employees or suppliers etc.. anything like that twist them slightly so they fit in with the admin role rather then retail and it should help with getting an office job! Also, keep an eye out for reception jobs as you already have the customer service side so you can then build in the admin side of the job.

Good luck!!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Find an apprenticeship.

Get voluntary work with a charity where you do their admin. This means that you demonstrate the usual admin skills and competencies that a company is looking for, plus you have a referee.

Get an admin qualification and/or particular IT skill qualification that's popular.

A lot of Civil Service roles are highly administrative. They have lots of entry level or slightly higher level positions for those who pass the application and sometimes an online test. They are focussed on the person demonstrating certain competencies so make sure you read up on what the CS employer is looking for the applicant to show. It's quite a robotic/formulaic process but at least it makes them more open minded about previous employment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (154)
42.78%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (53)
14.72%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (145)
40.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.22%

Watched Threads