Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi
My mother wants to do a PHD in Education
She is already has a masters in microbiology
I was just curious what kind of funding might be avaiala le to her
And if any there was a course or uni she could do distance learning?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kitcha Baiu)
Hi
Thanks
Hi Kitcha Baiu

It is great that your mother is considering studying for a PhD in Education. I am a current PhD History Student at the University of Hull.

whilst I am personally not aware of potential universities which offer distance learning PhD's, I would use UCAS to find any potential distance learning-based PhD courses -https://www.ucas.com/
as well as using FindAPhD -https://www.findaphd.com/
and search individual university websites.
I would check whether your local university offers a PhD in Education if your Mother is wishing to study locally/remotely, as they may be able to facilitate distance-based learning although this is no guarantee.

In regards to entry requirements for a PhD, it is worth checking with individual universities as to what subjects/degree classifications they require to study the course.

One way of funding a PhD is through a Doctoral Loan
UK students who haven’t secured a scholarship can take out a Doctoral Loan to help with tuition fees and living costs. They provide up to £26,445 for full-time and part-time PhDs in all subject areas.
Further details about the doctoral loan can be found on the government website - https://www.gov.uk/doctoral-loan/what-you-get
There may also be scholarships available, which is worth researching into as well.

I hope this helps, and I am happy to answer any questions which you may have

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Kitcha Baiu)
Hi
Thanks
Distance learning PhDs in Education do exist, for example this one: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ioe/courses/gr...line-mphil-phd. Is there a reason she can't do an Education PhD at a local university to where she lives?

She will be eligible for a doctoral loan from Student Finance, as long as she lives in England or Wales, and remains in the UK for the entirety of the course.
As far as I know, research councils do not fund distance learning PhDs, but the universities she applies to may offer grants or scholarships which any student is eligible for, regardless of mode of study. She'd need to check with them specifically beforehand though.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Because your mother does not have a Masters in education or any education experience (you did not state she was a teacher) then I recommend the EdD route. This is a structured route. Over the first two years, the student would have to take 60 credits from the Masters in Education course to bring them up to speed on education theory. They would also need to complete a further 120 credits on research theory and advanced research theory. In the following two years they work on their research and submit a 50k dissertation rather than a 100k dissertation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
19.05%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.29%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.76%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.84%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.08%
Taster lectures or seminars (76)
21.29%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.69%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.48%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.64%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.24%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.68%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.96%

Watched Threads