Turning right at junction. Traffic light confusion.

Watch
DDan3657
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I am quite new to driving and my turn right turn that I have regularly used have changed position of traffic lights on the junction and has caused me a bit of confusion.

I used to pull into the junction when my first traffic light was green, wait until the traffic was clear then turn right.

But now there is a traffic light that is straight in front of me when I pull into the junction. It can take some time for the traffic to be clear and sometimes this light in front of me changes to red. Am I still OK to turn right, while actually in the junction, even though this has turned to red?

Just a bit of confusion as there's a traffic camera on the other side of the road. I do not want to be breaking the law.
Attached files
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Once you have crossed the line which the traffic light is controlling on green, you are no longer obliged to follow that traffic light.

So yes, once you've crossed that line in the picture (on green), you can turn right even when the light has turned red. Obviously traffic coming towards you has right of way so you must wait for a clear gap to begin to turn.
DDan3657
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
Once you have crossed the line which the traffic light is controlling on green, you are no longer obliged to follow that traffic light.

So yes, once you've crossed that line in the picture (on green), you can turn right even when the light has turned red. Obviously traffic coming towards you has right of way so you must wait for a clear gap to begin to turn.
Great. Thank you very much for clearing this up for me, it is much appreciated.
Enjoy your day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (159)
4.88%
Uncertainty around my education (476)
14.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (365)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (458)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (152)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (197)
6.04%
Loneliness (280)
8.59%
Financial worries (114)
3.5%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (132)
4.05%
Exposure to negative news/social media (149)
4.57%
Lack of real life entertainment (179)
5.49%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (293)
8.99%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (306)
9.39%

Watched Threads