The Student Room Group

Is bath university strict on gcse requirements

I really want to go to bath university in 2022
But it requires a B in maths GCSE but I only got a 5 due to teacher assessed grades
All my other GCSEs are B’s with 3 A’s
I’m taking business as an a level as I want to do a business management course so will i still be able to get in?
Reply 1
Original post by Libbyrosee
I really want to go to bath university in 2022
But it requires a B in maths GCSE but I only got a 5 due to teacher assessed grades
All my other GCSEs are B’s with 3 A’s
I’m taking business as an a level as I want to do a business management course so will i still be able to get in?

Usually unis are pretty strict on GCSE requirements, could you resit the GCSE to get the required grade?
Can you retake your maths GCSE? Colleges/sixth forms normally offer classes in which you can retake maths GCSE.

I am going to be straight with you. It is not ideal. Business degrees are relatively competitive to get onto, especially at somewhere like bath. Other Unis at a similar level to bath will also be looking for a grade 6 at GCSE. It will put you at a disadvantage for Bath and similar ranked Unis. Therefore, i highly recommend that you retake your maths. In the meantime you could email a bunch of unis to ask about how strict they are on their maths requirement. However, they may not give you a straight answer as they most likely will not want you to be discouraged from applying there.

Although, this is still worth doing as I did the same thing asking about GCSE requirements for my chosen degree course and I found that some unis either didn't reply after trying to get into contact with them for months, were rude or they were genuinely nice to me and gave me a good answer as well as additional info. This ended up being one of the factors in my decision making and I found it was very helpful in knowing which unis were likely to accept me and which weren't (I applied for a language related course and didn't meet the GCSE requirements and unfortunately didn't have the opportunity to retake).

Hope that helps a bit. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest