xwj01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do you guys know if there are any entry requirements for foundation year? I just can't find information about it. It just says to have IELTS test and a high school certificate, but no score is indicated, don't know if it implies that any score is ok.
Last edited by xwj01; 1 week ago
Caz1234567
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which foundation year?
xwj01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caz1234567)
Which foundation year?
Im interested in QMUL business foundation year, but I would like some information for any other foundation year in general as well
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends on the uni and individual foundation year tbh. Most of them are fairly flexible in assessing applicants because often they get applications from mature students, professionals looking to get a degree after a gap in education, or people with non-standard educational backgrounds (including international students whose home country's school system doesn't match up to the UKs).

Note the QMUL foundation years that aren't for STEM subjects are designed for international students, and I don't believe the non-STEM foundation years (including business courses) accept UK/domestic applicants.
MTJS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xwj01)
Im interested in QMUL business foundation year, but I would like some information for any other foundation year in general as well
I applied for Actuarial Science with a foundation year as a mature student. The entry requirements page of most universities state that each candidate will be assessed on a case by case basis. So for myself, the impression I got was that as a mature student, the entry requirements won't be so strict for me and that has been true for some places. As it is a course with strong mathematical content, almost all of them wanted A-Levels in Mathematics at Grade C-B or above at the minimum. I didn't have this as I left sixth-form in 2012 with BTEC L3 I.T, Business and Economics.

I got offers from Kent, Essex for my chosen course but somehow, got an offer for Computer Science without a foundation year at Swansea. I'd say, confirm what course it is you want to do, consider what makes your application a strong one and get in touch with the universities before applying. Universities consider everything from your previous grades, work experience, personal statement and even things such as extenuating circumstances before making an offer.

I wish you the best of luck.
xwj01
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Depends on the uni and individual foundation year tbh. Most of them are fairly flexible in assessing applicants because often they get applications from mature students, professionals looking to get a degree after a gap in education, or people with non-standard educational backgrounds (including international students whose home country's school system doesn't match up to the UKs).

Note the QMUL foundation years that aren't for STEM subjects are designed for international students, and I don't believe the non-STEM foundation years (including business courses) accept UK/domestic applicants.
Thank you a lot,
I am indeed an International student coming from Italy. My question derivates from the fact that I saw that some foundation programmes like UCL or Warwick required 70% on your high school degree.

I have already confirmed my offer from QMUL for Marketing and Management (Applied for integrated Foundation Year though). It requires me 90% on my high school degree and they said if I can't meet the grade they COULD offer foundation year, so just wondering if there where any requirements...
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by xwj01)
Thank you a lot,
I am indeed an International student coming from Italy. My question derivates from the fact that I saw that some foundation programmes like UCL or Warwick required 70% on your high school degree.

I have already confirmed my offer from QMUL for Marketing and Management (Applied for integrated Foundation Year though). It requires me 90% on my high school degree and they said if I can't meet the grade they COULD offer foundation year, so just wondering if there where any requirements...
In that case it'll be wholly at the university's discretion whether they offered you a place or not. If you failed to achieve the grade for your offer then they can offer you a place on another course (or on a foundation year) but they are by no means obligated to, and it will probably depend on your final results. Practically speaking though, they will probably be quite happy to take you with anything but outright failing grades on a foundation year course as an alternative if you are to be paying international fees...for better or for worse, international students are big money for UK universities and they'd rather get someone in on the foundation year paying the international fees than lose out on them entirely I imagine.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 week ago
xwj01
Rep:
?
The thing is, here the final exam score is dictated more by your average score from you last 3 years of high school more than the exam itself. For example for me I have an average score of 7 out of 10, and it would be possible for me only to get scores ranging from 60%, which is a pass, like the minimum score to pass the exam, to 85% or so, but even then you will need to get everything right during your exam. So just a bit of worries around that.

I checked QM's website as well, like for IFY they require certain grades for the course, but there is actually nothing said about courses with integrated foundation year. Hopefully I get a decent grade at my exam and don't get rejected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (71)
4.69%
Uncertainty around my education (234)
15.45%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (165)
10.89%
Lack of purpose or motivation (215)
14.19%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (67)
4.42%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (88)
5.81%
Loneliness (134)
8.84%
Financial worries (52)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (68)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (72)
4.75%
Lack of real life entertainment (79)
5.21%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (130)
8.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (140)
9.24%

Watched Threads