Bill_NES64
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys!

So, my question will be as clichéd as can be, but hopefully some of you can help - seeing as nobody else can.

Some context: I'm a brazillian history graduate from a not-so-good-even-here college, where, at the end of the course, I had a grade average of 94,26%. I'm looking into trying out for chevening at the end of the year, and one of the programs that I really like is Oxford's Comparative Literature and Critical Translation MSt. There's only a problem, though: the application fee - I know it's only 75 pounds, but that comes to almost 600 reais (the minimum wage here is 1100 reais, just so you guys can picture the proportions).

My question is twofold. First: I've looked the site up and down, but still couldn't find anyway to waive the fee. I know there probably isn't one, but maybe I'm missing something? Is there any way for me to not have to pay this fee?

And second: bearing in mind that the fee is really steep for me, do you guys think I should still apply? My grades are kind of good, but my college wasn't the best. How much does that factor in? I also am the cofounder of the local historiographic society, and do voluntary work (teaching in a college prep course for underprivileged kids), if that helps - and my english entry requirements are met.

Anyway, what I think I'm trying to say is: can I waive this fee? And, if I can't, should I risk it anyway? This program is very interesting, and I couldn't find anything close to it in any other UK Uni.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Tchau!

P.S.: My other options are Durham (a favorite of mine), Leeds, Edinburgh and Birmingham. What do you guys think? I'll be applying through the Chevening Scholarship
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bill_NES64)
Hey guys!

So, my question will be as clichéd as can be, but hopefully some of you can help - seeing as nobody else can.

Some context: I'm a brazillian history graduate from a not-so-good-even-here college, where, at the end of the course, I had a grade average of 94,26%. I'm looking into trying out for chevening at the end of the year, and one of the programs that I really like is Oxford's Comparative Literature and Critical Translation MSt. There's only a problem, though: the application fee - I know it's only 75 pounds, but that comes to almost 600 reais (the minimum wage here is 1100 reais, just so you guys can picture the proportions).

My question is twofold. First: I've looked the site up and down, but still couldn't find anyway to waive the fee. I know there probably isn't one, but maybe I'm missing something? Is there any way for me to not have to pay this fee?

And second: bearing in mind that the fee is really steep for me, do you guys think I should still apply? My grades are kind of good, but my college wasn't the best. How much does that factor in? I also am the cofounder of the local historiographic society, and do voluntary work (teaching in a college prep course for underprivileged kids), if that helps - and my english entry requirements are met.

Anyway, what I think I'm trying to say is: can I waive this fee? And, if I can't, should I risk it anyway? This program is very interesting, and I couldn't find anything close to it in any other UK Uni.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Tchau!

P.S.: My other options are Durham (a favorite of mine), Leeds, Edinburgh and Birmingham. What do you guys think? I'll be applying through the Chevening Scholarship
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/application-guide/declaration-and-payment

They have fee waivers but you wouldn't be eligible. I think you can either take the gamble and find a way to pay it or stick with your other choices. It's an unfortunate aspect of Oxford applications in order to discourage people from applying if they don't really have a chance, but with the side effect that people like you will also be excluded.

You could try asking them for a fee waiver anyway though, there would be no harm in doing that.
Bill_NES64
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/applying-to-oxford/application-guide/declaration-and-payment

They have fee waivers but you wouldn't be eligible. I think you can either take the gamble and find a way to pay it or stick with your other choices. It's an unfortunate aspect of Oxford applications in order to discourage people from applying if they don't really have a chance, but with the side effect that people like you will also be excluded.

You could try asking them for a fee waiver anyway though, there would be no harm in doing that.
Thanks for answering! I actually shot them an e-mail asking about a potential waiver. I'll update here if I get an answer! I'm just affraid I'll regret it it if I don't at least try, you know?
About Durham, Leeds, Edinburgh and Birmingham... What do you think? Are they too hard to get into? I can choose at least three for the Chevening Scholarship - I'm leaning Oxford/Durham/Edinburgh at the moment, but maybe I'm being too cocky?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bill_NES64)
Thanks for answering! I actually shot them an e-mail asking about a potential waiver. I'll update here if I get an answer! I'm just affraid I'll regret it it if I don't at least try, you know?
About Durham, Leeds, Edinburgh and Birmingham... What do you think? Are they too hard to get into? I can choose at least three for the Chevening Scholarship - I'm leaning Oxford/Durham/Edinburgh at the moment, but maybe I'm being too cocky?
It's really up to you. If you don't get in but spend so much money then will you also regret it? Or if you get in but don't get a scholarship?

All of those other universities are very good universities, I'd probably choose Durham, Edinburgh, and either Birmingham or Leeds as your three, but someone who knows more about the exact subject you want to study might change that.
mike23mike
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The reason Oxford have an application fee is that they simply have too many applications and use the fee as a way of filtering out the time-wasters. Only people seriously keen on the course will do so. Oxford doesn't need the money.

You are mixing with the best of the best if you are applying to Oxford or Cambridge. By your own admission your degree is from a mediocre university so I recommend you look at your other options - Leeds, Durham etc - and forget about Oxford.
Last edited by mike23mike; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (68)
18.53%
Virtual accommodation tour (53)
14.44%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.63%
Video content about the local area (4)
1.09%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3%
Taster lectures or seminars (79)
21.53%
Speak to current students studying my course (84)
22.89%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (16)
4.36%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.54%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.18%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.63%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads