Desperately need a job but too scared to apply

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My anxiety & low self-esteem is holding me back from applying to jobs. Whenever I see a job, my brain tells me that I'd be terrible at it and I begin to think of all of the ways I could mess it up. Especially if it's a sector I have no experience in. I got an interview last week but didn't bother doing it because of the thoughts I was having. It stems from anxiety/low self-esteem, but also my past experience in working. I used to work at Primark where I made several mistakes, and was once shouted at by a manager.

I have been unemployed for a while now and need a job ASAP. How do I deal with this?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Ask for advice
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My anxiety & low self-esteem is holding me back from applying to jobs. Whenever I see a job, my brain tells me that I'd be terrible at it and I begin to think of all of the ways I could mess it up. Especially if it's a sector I have no experience in. I got an interview last week but didn't bother doing it because of the thoughts I was having. It stems from anxiety/low self-esteem, but also my past experience in working. I used to work at Primark where I made several mistakes, and was once shouted at by a manager.

I have been unemployed for a while now and need a job ASAP. How do I deal with this?
Could you apply for something local to you with McDonalds and then build on that?
something_orphic
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I believe there are services you can use that can help you with this. I am not entirely sure on the details so you are going to have to do your own research i am afraid. My older brother (age 25) is really bad with interviews and gets anxiety and couldn't get a job for ages so he decided to reach out to this organisation where he could practise interviews with them and they gave him advice on how to handle situations when he actually gets a job. Maybe thats something worth looking into? Sorry I couldn't of been more help.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Are you getting any help for your anxiety and self-esteem issues?
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Sort out your anxiety, confidence and self esteem issues. See your GP, arrange counselling, identify and follow well-being advice. Consider Hypnotherapy, paid or free apps.

Get a voluntary position which can boost your skills, CV, confidence and provide you with a reference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (184)
5.02%
Uncertainty around my education (538)
14.69%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (406)
11.09%
Lack of purpose or motivation (505)
13.79%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (181)
4.94%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (221)
6.03%
Loneliness (309)
8.44%
Financial worries (134)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.96%
Exposure to negative news/social media (165)
4.51%
Lack of real life entertainment (209)
5.71%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (326)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (339)
9.26%

Watched Threads